What new learning occurred for you in Jane's keynote session?

Re: What new learning occurred for you in Jane's keynote session?

by Joan Higgs -
Number of replies: 0

Ah, 'learning through play'- yes! It is why I homeschooled (no- I prefer the term 'unschooled') my daughter Zoe for the elementary school years... a 'lifestyle choice' (though we were not financially well off, as the term implies) for which she frequently voices gratitude these days- she is graduating from high school now.

That said, I fully appreciate Jane's axiom that in the classroom setting, the more structured the design, the greater the potential for constructive spontaneity. How does this follow? I think it's about confidence on the part of the instructor, and providing a knowable, bounded frame of reference for the students. This, rather than limiting discussion and learning, paradoxically has an opposite effect of freeing up the creative process because it's rooted in a specific cognitive territory. 'You can't get somewhere from nowhere' as the saying goes.

This is why I also fully appreciate the value and importance of a thorough introduction of the topic, by the instructor- which necessitates, in my view, well-prepared lectures or presentations at the outset, to 'bring everyone onto the same page'. After this, my job is to facilitate and if need be, moderate the ensuing dialogue. Otherwise, I need to just 'get out of the way'. And I want to model Jane's technique of giving "lavish affirmation" for feedback- sincerely done, as she does- it truly brings people alive with confidence and heightened interest, and instils a contagious air of generosity. Gee- I'm getting excited about TA ing again this fall!

Sorry to have taken so long to join the discussion- feeling overwhelmed with a summer job, a readings course, research design and family stuff. My question is this: How to compartmentalize my time to cover all the bases I need and want to? How do some of you do this? I tend to be a dreamer, but I'm ready to take hard and fast instructions on this one! thoughtful