What new learning occurred for you in Jane's keynote session?

What new learning occurred for you in Jane's keynote session?

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Number of replies: 4

What a joyful keynote address we heard this morning, as Jane opened up the Symposium. The smiles, the laughter, the animated dialogue...all evidence that the audience was engaging enthusiastically with the ideas presented.

At several points, Jane asked us to talk with each other about the 7 design steps (considering Who, Why, When, Where, What and What For) and exchange ideas about the 12 principlesand practices of dialogue education(needs assessment, safety, sound relationships, sequence/reinforcement, ideas/feeling/actions, immediacy, clear roles, teamwork, praxis, respect, engagement, accountability).

What was the highlight of the session for you? What new learning occurred? Did you make any "quantum leaps" ?  We invite you to continue the dialogue here.

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

Re: What new learning occurred for you in Jane's keynote session?

by Quirien Mulder ten Kate -

I struggle with the immediacy.  I am so frustrated at times with the specific nature of the Prescribed Learning Outcomes for highschool courses (and provincial exams are not helping here!).  I have students ask interesting questions so often and feel that we can barely scratched the surface and then feel the pressure to move on again.  Discussions boards help, but students rarely go there voluntarily unless it is for marks.  Marks, extrinsic rewards, have damaged some wonderful learning that can take place without them.  I felt inspired afterwards and excited about being actually able to implement what I learned at the session next September. 

Quirien

Quirien

by Deleted user -

Wow - lots of new learning and reinforcing of the old!

I think hearing that students need to wrestle with learning and not be rescued by the instructor is the biggest one for me.  I'm always throwing out the life preserver and being seduced into explaining more.  The idea that learning is supposed to be hard work is a big concept for me.

In reply to Deleted user

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Quirien and Ava, you have pointed out two huge issues that I also have identified as real head scratchers. One is the issue of young learners who are "required" to go through a set curriculum, leaving very little time for helping them learn how to engage in dialogue. And then there's Ava's idea of "wrestling" with learning.  

For myself, I am convinced that the education system should put more emphasis on learning how to learn, and less on providing content. As Jane said, information is now available on the Internet on any topic, so we don't have to rely on a learned teacher to be the only source. This is not a new idea, but when will the powers that be act on it?

And as for hard work in wrestling with learning, I'd really like to get to a point where that is seen as an enjoyable way to spend time. Young children learn through play, and for some that's an intense, engrossing experience -- often with laughter. At what age do we lose that?

by Joan Higgs -

Ah, 'learning through play'- yes! It is why I homeschooled (no- I prefer the term 'unschooled') my daughter Zoe for the elementary school years... a 'lifestyle choice' (though we were not financially well off, as the term implies) for which she frequently voices gratitude these days- she is graduating from high school now.

That said, I fully appreciate Jane's axiom that in the classroom setting, the more structured the design, the greater the potential for constructive spontaneity. How does this follow? I think it's about confidence on the part of the instructor, and providing a knowable, bounded frame of reference for the students. This, rather than limiting discussion and learning, paradoxically has an opposite effect of freeing up the creative process because it's rooted in a specific cognitive territory. 'You can't get somewhere from nowhere' as the saying goes.

This is why I also fully appreciate the value and importance of a thorough introduction of the topic, by the instructor- which necessitates, in my view, well-prepared lectures or presentations at the outset, to 'bring everyone onto the same page'. After this, my job is to facilitate and if need be, moderate the ensuing dialogue. Otherwise, I need to just 'get out of the way'. And I want to model Jane's technique of giving "lavish affirmation" for feedback- sincerely done, as she does- it truly brings people alive with confidence and heightened interest, and instils a contagious air of generosity. Gee- I'm getting excited about TA ing again this fall!

Sorry to have taken so long to join the discussion- feeling overwhelmed with a summer job, a readings course, research design and family stuff. My question is this: How to compartmentalize my time to cover all the bases I need and want to? How do some of you do this? I tend to be a dreamer, but I'm ready to take hard and fast instructions on this one! thoughtful