Welcome to "Learning on the Edge"

Welcome to "Learning on the Edge"

by Laura Proctor -
Number of replies: 6
Welcome everyone to this SCOPE seminar where we will have a conversation about the topic of boundaries and moving beyond them in our use of technology for learning and teaching. The B.C. Educational Technology User Group (ETUG) Fall 2008 workshop attended by individuals from every post-secondary institution in British Columbia last week was organized around the topic "Learning on the Edge: exploring our boundaries". That forms the context for my approach to starting this conversation and I will share with you some of the perspectives and information that I took away from that gathering in the "ETUG Fall Workshop reflections".

On a personal note, this is my first experience hosting an online discussion and I would appreciate all and any feedback you can offer me. I will start a couple of threads to get us started. The workshop reflections thread mentioned above and threads for the questions I posed before attending the workshop. I look forward to your perspectives and new directions as I "learn on the edge" in real time.
In reply to Laura Proctor

Re: Welcome to "Learning on the Edge"

by Sylvia Riessner -
Hi Laura,
Thanks for hosting the discussion. I'm a lurker and haven't lead any of these discussions before but I'm hoping to participate more in this one cuz I really wanted to attend the ETUG workshop and this way I can explore the boundaries somewhat vicariously.
Just a question...what is the etiquette around starting new threads. Do we post a request to you in the main conversation thread (this one?) to ask that we start a new discussion?
Will you be posting about some of the 'boundaries' you explored at the conference?
I'm looking forward to the exploration.

Sylvia
In reply to Sylvia Riessner

by Laura Proctor -
Hi Sylvia:
Welcome to the discussion! I will be continuing to add more of my notes and reflections on the workshop throughout this week. If there is some topic mentioned that you'd like to know more about, please ask! Questions are our way forward.

As to the "etiquette" of new threads, I will say, for this seminar, that everyone is welcome to add a new topic at any time. If you'd prefer to simply suggest a new topic, in any of the current topics, then I will be happy to create the new thread.

Laura

by Grant Potter -
Hi everyone,

Looking forward to building upon and extending some of the themes from the Fall ETUG workshop. Folksonomy continues to dramatically change and redefine how we make meaning online. The result is a fluid collection of perspectives - defined by the many - existing in 'the cloud'.

Looking forward to the discourse in this seminar.

Cheers,

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Laura,
Interesting topic about boundaries in e-learning, including the e-globe. "Boundaries, Barriers and Walls" is a workshop, that my husband, Gary Meiers, (Psychologist in Alberta now) used to run in California and then in Canada.
I have come across the term boundaries in psychology a lot -- and people have a wide variety of experience, but clarified boundaries usually help between two communicators. It get confusing when they are too undefined -- but loose can be okay if there is a sense of networking. I think the general guidelines of netettiquette help with some understood structures, but even that is not understood in the same way be everyone.

On the other hand -- barriers happen when I can't get a message to someone -- but they say for what ever reason -- on an e-mail that bounces back continuously. Walls happen if this happens too much. However I have always believed in going over, under or around the walls if I am determined to communicate.

I'm really not sure how to get the emotional intelligence of openness and trust to work when online we do not have as many body language "cues" or voice tone cues -- unless we are on elluminate (or another videoconference) or Skpye (or another VoiP). Jo Ann

by Nancy Riffer -
Laura
Thank you for hosting this discussion. The topic caught my eye several weeks ago as something I wanted to pursue. I look forward to exploring the resources you reference and participating in the discussion.
Nancy