Multimembership Practices

Re: Multimembership Practices

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 2
Hi Jeffery and all others,
Thanks for you reflection on how your intention is to make time to work reflectively and not just put another item on your list. Isn't that this issue.
For me, I find that I have learned to be very disciplined, because I had to do that to accomplish what I had to do and still have time to do what I really wanted to explore and create that enriched my life. For example, sometimes I have a number of things that I have to do for my 16 year old -- and I have a tight schedule. If I have not prioritize and if I'm not reasonably organized, then my list of items gets further behind.

I think I improved after reading Stephen Covey's book several years ago "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", especially looking at urgent and non-urgent, important and non-important in various combinations.

I realized at that time that I needed far more important and non-urgent in my life and focused more and more on that part. This led my to complete two more graduate diplomas in the last 5 years and do a number of other things besides work and family. How does this related to managing multimemberships?

For me, it is not just the tools of technology -- although many of them are helpful, it is my habits, my health, and my social networks that help me stay attuned to my values and my life purpose. I do have days where I melt down, but usually the structure helps me to focus and do what I need to do. If I get behind, I have faith that I will get caught up. I also have faith that I am on a journey that has its own rhythm for me and others. Jo Ann

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Jo Ann-

I think I need to bottle what you have!
How do you do this practically, with blogs and news and Facebook and Twitter and even faciliated sessions like this one? If I only had to keep up with what I already follow, then that would be one things. However, nearly a day goes by without finding something else interesting or useful or engaging. Managing the new to me seems to be the biggest challenge!

Jeffrey
In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Jeffrey,
I think you do so much and I don't feel like I'm doing enough -- and I have to reframe and continuously get back to the moment -- what I am doing, what I can do, who I feel moved to reply to, what my obligations are, and when I need to let go. Not much magic here, but I have been reading a lot of articles over the past 3 years in DE and technology, been exposed to the generosity of many great people -- who are exemplary in the field. I have been a professional psychologist since 1974. I think the dance and the art trainings (therapeutic and regular) have helped me learn a lot of how to embody my learning, to be able to be relating with at least "good enough" communication, and also to stay very humble and just on the edge at times. I have learned from the thousands of clients I have seen over the years -- students and all kinds of folk. Perhaps the technology is helping me communicate with more people now. I do not feel confident -- I just do what I can and see where it goes. I do believe in positive actions, and I fight off and reframe my own negative chat.
Cheers, Jo Ann