Multimembership Practices

by Sue Wolff -
Number of replies: 11
One of the wonderful benefits to professional collaborative forums and seminars like these is the chance to observe and interact with others who have been more or less active for more or less time than myself. I always pick up new ideas and it's interesting to observe the different paths people take to learning about all this Web 2.0 richness.

Jeffrey, Bronwyn, Sylvia came up with these questions to chase these nuggets out in the open: How conscious are you of the practices that serve you in managing your multimembership? How have your practices changed over the past year?Is there anyone whose practices have shaped your own, or has this person become a mentor to you?
In reply to Sue Wolff

Re: Multimembership Practices

by Sylvia Currie -
Is there anyone whose practices have shaped your own, or has this person become a mentor to you?

I'm realizing when thinking about this question that it's impossible for me to remember the many, many individuals I have learned from and modeled my practices. Of course a few people stand out, and I'm sure they don't realize the influence they have had. It's probably time to send them a thank you card!

Have you seen CogDog's TwitterCycle? What's interesting in these personal accounts of climbing the twitter curve is that so many people give credit to others and have gone through a process of figuring out new practices alongside their mentors.

If we focus in on blogging, can you trace the history of how you got started? When and why did it become a part of your practice?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Christine Horgan -

Sylvia:

I realize that my admission might be close to heresy, but I don't blog and I seldom now check out blogs. ...and that I will be taking a round-about way to get to my question.

Why? I see no need professionally, and I value my privacy in my personal life, and I prefer a more personal contact with my friends. I've read a number of blogs--different approaches by different writers--and when I want information I find I want the Readers' Digest version first (probably very narrow minded of me) becasue I find I have to take in a lot of information in the course of my day. Many blogs just don't hold me interest long enough or get to the information I want quickly enough, so I find myself choosing to wander away.

I suspect I'm missing a lot as a result, and as a coping strategy, wandering away from blogs may not be productive.

But....I belong to that group of folks who cheerfully/out of necessity uses technology because it makes work easier....but I'm not a techie type.

Now to the question: why do those who do blog, blog? Why would a blogger feel that a non-blogger should blog (or at least consult blogs)?

Thanks, Chris

In reply to Christine Horgan

by Brenda Hallowes -

Hi Everyone, I am very much a lurker here. For the past couple of years I have explored all sorts of Web2.0 tools and I've really enjoyed following some of the SCoPE seminars. Like Chris I haven't felt the need to blog, although I signed up for a couple of blogs. I also couldn't think why I would want to jounal my personal space in public. I've now decided to blog my daily reflections on my teaching practice. I've been doing it for about a week now and I'm finding it helpful. So Chris, that's why I would want to blog as a professional - purely to reflect.  I have been exploring some edublogs and I'm impressed by the way in which some teachers are using blogs with their learners. I'll get there - it's still baby steps for now.

Thank you to everyone who is contributing in this space. I just want to say how much I appreciate your contributions to my learning. Have a great day.

Brenda

In reply to Brenda Hallowes

by Sylvia Currie -
I've been thinking about my own multimembership practices and what got me started with blogging. Interestingly, I found the answers in my blog! So if that isn't a case in point... :-)

First I give credit to Heather Ross for giving me several nudges to blog more. One day I was trying out the "notes" feature in Facebook and posted this brief story about my experience in an airport. Heather was right on it immediately with a comment that I should BLOG: "You know, if you weren't already so busy I'd bug you about the fact that you don't blog (this would be a great blog post)."

Peer pressure! I always enjoyed Heather's blog and wished I had the same discipline to post regularly. But I just couldn't quite make myself do it. I was still searching for the right reasons to get started.

Then I came across another post on my blog. Having my blog listed on The Canadian Edublogger list posted by Alec Couros, and seeing the comment from Scott Leslie that "Maybe this will prompt them [Canadian edubloggers] out of slumber" really made me question my habits. And it also started to occur to me that somebody might actually read my blog, and who knows, they might get something out of it, especially if I use it to promote and showcase community activities.

At the beginning I was pretty hung up on whether I should create a personal blog to publish information related to my community work, or a community blog for that purpose. I knew that I would have a hard time keeping up with both so I settled on using my personal blog for all purposes. I'm not sure that's the best approach.

That's my getting started story. After hearing the stories from Leigh (on Voice Thread) and Nik and Nellie and others, and the stories yet to be posted, I'm even more motivated to blog. approve

by Sue Wolff -
Hello Brenda, I was tickled that you are starting to blog about your teaching practice for your own reflection. I blog for myself also for the same reasons, and got started when we were required to in my Masters program.

You mention the issue of blogging your personal space in public. Is your current reflective blog public? (I searched you and saw Classroom 2.0, but it's down for maintenance.) If you do, do you think hard and pause before blogging publicly?

And I also appreciate you and everyone who shares their reflections on their practice. Everyone whose blogs I read inspires me to be a better practitioner. To blog the effort, struggles, joys, questions and all is a gift back to the community I think.
In reply to Sue Wolff

by Brenda Hallowes -

Hi Sue, thanks for your response. I am blogging in Edublogs for daily professional practice. I thought the space was public but I need to check. I am also part of a group of educators training as Intel Teach online facilitators. I have facilitated the f2f version of the course but now we're offering it online. As part of the course we're using Web2.0 tools for reflecting on pedagogical practice.

On Monday I'm starting on an online un-workshop ;-) for teachers.  Could be great fun as the facilitator is a dynamic person with a passion for education and the use of Web2.0. So, things are happening in my cyber world at the moment. I was even considering entering a masters programme on facilitating online learning- but that's for another day.

Regards Brenda

by Sue Wolff -

Ok Brenda, I visited the edublogs link to find Bee's Buzz. Cute name. I am intrigued how the blog protects your identity for the most part. How intentional is that? Wonder how this public/private identity issue is facotrs into our management of multimembership. 

In reply to Sue Wolff

by Jeffrey Keefer -

How conscious are you of the practices that serve you in managing your multimembership?

I really like this question, as it leads to the topic of reflective practice in multimembership. When I started becoming increasingly aware of and active with social media, I did not think of managing it. There was just something new for me to increasingly do and then remain engaged in. Like many online endeavors, I find it starts small, and then suddenly I found I was spending time more than once a day, and then eventually started to feel behind . . .

On a daily basis, I do not think about this because reflective practice as a concept is a little more intentional; I need to focus upon it by letting go of the daily grind and challenges to my time. In other words, when I actively begin to consider this issue, it is usually because what I am doing is not working, so I am forced to try something new to change my status quo.

What I want to do, and am making an effort as a result of our ongoing discussion here on SCoPE, is to bring this reflectivity to my daily life, so once I catch up and successfully manage my multimemberships, I will then remain caught up.

The lingering question, is how to work reflectivity into a daily routine without it becoming just one more of a long list of things to do!

-----
Jeffrey Keefer
Blog: http://silenceandvoice.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/JeffreyKeefer
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreykeefer

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Jeffery and all others,
Thanks for you reflection on how your intention is to make time to work reflectively and not just put another item on your list. Isn't that this issue.
For me, I find that I have learned to be very disciplined, because I had to do that to accomplish what I had to do and still have time to do what I really wanted to explore and create that enriched my life. For example, sometimes I have a number of things that I have to do for my 16 year old -- and I have a tight schedule. If I have not prioritize and if I'm not reasonably organized, then my list of items gets further behind.

I think I improved after reading Stephen Covey's book several years ago "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", especially looking at urgent and non-urgent, important and non-important in various combinations.

I realized at that time that I needed far more important and non-urgent in my life and focused more and more on that part. This led my to complete two more graduate diplomas in the last 5 years and do a number of other things besides work and family. How does this related to managing multimemberships?

For me, it is not just the tools of technology -- although many of them are helpful, it is my habits, my health, and my social networks that help me stay attuned to my values and my life purpose. I do have days where I melt down, but usually the structure helps me to focus and do what I need to do. If I get behind, I have faith that I will get caught up. I also have faith that I am on a journey that has its own rhythm for me and others. Jo Ann

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Jo Ann-

I think I need to bottle what you have!
How do you do this practically, with blogs and news and Facebook and Twitter and even faciliated sessions like this one? If I only had to keep up with what I already follow, then that would be one things. However, nearly a day goes by without finding something else interesting or useful or engaging. Managing the new to me seems to be the biggest challenge!

Jeffrey
In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Jeffrey,
I think you do so much and I don't feel like I'm doing enough -- and I have to reframe and continuously get back to the moment -- what I am doing, what I can do, who I feel moved to reply to, what my obligations are, and when I need to let go. Not much magic here, but I have been reading a lot of articles over the past 3 years in DE and technology, been exposed to the generosity of many great people -- who are exemplary in the field. I have been a professional psychologist since 1974. I think the dance and the art trainings (therapeutic and regular) have helped me learn a lot of how to embody my learning, to be able to be relating with at least "good enough" communication, and also to stay very humble and just on the edge at times. I have learned from the thousands of clients I have seen over the years -- students and all kinds of folk. Perhaps the technology is helping me communicate with more people now. I do not feel confident -- I just do what I can and see where it goes. I do believe in positive actions, and I fight off and reframe my own negative chat.
Cheers, Jo Ann