Maximizing your Involvement

Re: Maximizing your Involvement

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 2
Hi again Deirdre,
I like and concur with your points here. However, I still know that I am not storing or organizing the many topics well in my own wiki, or files. The posts on my e-mails all seem so interesting that it is challenging to just delete them, but sometimes I do it to survive. I am very interested in how you communicate with less English speaking posts -- is it all in English, or do you use translations?
It seems that if one is working internationally with people who mainly speak Spanish -- then they might like to converse in English -- and use an automated translator. Does that go both ways or do you also have other languages? The language issue has come up with me -- as I don't speak French well enough to feel professionally competent -- and yet I studied it years ago and review it once in awhile. It seems such an advantage for international multimembership connections. I like the idea of using translators and I imagine they are improving.
In medicine the language accuracy seems important.
Jo Ann
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Bronwyn Stuckey -
Deirdre and Jo Ann,

You must have both read my mind :-) I love the fact that I can subscribe and like Deirdre the email draws me back into the community when the topics peak my interest. But like Jo Ann I also worry about how to store, sort, and value all the juicy dialog when I have it in so many parts. I do have folders and subfolders but I need to do more with this great stuff!

I am member of several NING groups and again am only drawn back into them when the leader sends an email message to the group, someone tweets or blogs about it, and I go in and pick up the dialog from there. So much passes me by if it is not pushed in front of me.

I do collect feeds as well into Netvibes and have over time set that up to gather content (again the push keeps me in the loop). But I don't think I have the matching time management practices to visit all the content (physically and mentally) regularly enough and make the most of what I have gathered.

MMmmm - so I love push technology and have tools to collect feeds but my weaknesses are probably time management. Any ideas?

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
Fortunately for unilingual me, all the groups I belong to are in English and the majority of the participants are very fluent at least in written English. The Spanish conference planning is translated, so there is a Spanish and English version.