Intermediate Classroom PC Networking

Intermediate Classroom PC Networking

by Derek Elliott -
Number of replies: 3

I have 25 windows 7 laptops and want to network them together for file and printer sharing.

What other software do people use for a distributed learning approach?

I am leaning towards an offline setup to keep the options limited as many students I have are at a primary reading/writing level

In reply to Derek Elliott

Re: Intermediate Classroom PC Networking

by Sylvia Currie -

Derek, it's been    y  e  a  r  s    since I worked in an on-site setting where I needed to set up networked file and printer sharing. I hope someone with heaps of current experience chimes in to help! 

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Derek Elliott -

thanks for replying Sylvia- Its more the file sharing options im not clear on- win 7 is pretty straight forward with their networking to connect printers- Derek

In reply to Derek Elliott

by Leva Lee -

Hi Derek,

Welcome to this ETUG space and sorry for my delayed response. Many of us are in the midst of conference season and I've been away and helping to coordinate a few so it's been busy!

I did ask a few ETUG friends about your question:

• I would suggest a wireless router that isn’t connected to the internet for the simplest solution. If the printer is networkable (ie. Doesn’t have to be linked to a specific computer) that would be best.      Keith
  • Wondering if this is maybe something the Pirate Box (for those who attended the fall workshop) might address? Or even the LibraryBox (for those planning to view our poster at upcoming ETUG). Would probably be a good solution for the file sharing aspect anyway… not so sure about printer sharing.     Gina

Regarding the LibraryBox ...Check this out...http://librarybox.us/

Gina and I are also doing a poster on it at the upcoming ETUG workshop. We feel it is something particularly of value to those travelling to far-flung places to help with teaching/learning and/or the distribution of open education resources.

I hope this helps. Cheers,

Leva