Knowledges in the Plural

Knowledges in the Plural

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Number of replies: 2

We are using the SCoPE platform to support all kinds of fascinating debates and resources.  I hope you all have a chance to browse through the site.

The focus of my presentation this afternoon (unfortunately, my co-presenter Sylvia Currie was not able to be in Kelowna due to a family emergency) was on the topic of Knowledges Exchange and how the SCoPE platform enables it.

The concept that caused most discussion was Knowledges,in the plural.  The core of my argument was that adding an "s" to the word Knowledge makes explicit the fact that we all have different coghnitive awareness due to our backgrounds and experience. It stresses diversity and validates the knowledge each one of us. We speak of teaching/learning Attitudes and Skills in the plural. Why not Knowledges?

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

Re: Knowledges in the Plural

by Tamara Porteous -
I have to say, that at first I did not understand the purpose of using the word "knowledges", but after the discussion and some time to process, I realize that by using this term is an empowering way to look at oneself.  In some respects, saying that one has knowledge is limiting as it almost points at knowledge in one specific area; but to say that one has knowledges implies that one is knowledgable about several varying subjects and areas.  I would rather my students walk out of my classroom in June with more knowledeges then with the same knowledge they walked in with in September.  Thank you for pointing out the differences and the value in them.
In reply to Tamara Porteous

Re: Knowledges in the Plural

by Sylvia Currie -
Tamara, I took some time to process the plural form of knowledge as well! When submitting the proposal Liz even had to point out that this wasn't a typing error.

Using the word knowledges also reminds us that we shouldn't be so quick to accept the information and knowledge passed down to us. We should constantly question and assess what people claim to know, and even what people claim we should know.

I was so sorry to have missed the conference! You'll have to all fill me in on the highlights.

Sylvia