One door closes; another opens

One door closes; another opens

by Richard Schwier -
Number of replies: 7

I hope you'll take a couple of minutes (3:30 to be exact) to let me say "So long, and thanks for all the fish" in this video. It has been a great three weeks, and with your advice and support, we have moved the thinking along a great deal.

Now it's time to roll up our sleeves and get to work on this. We need three kinds of things as we move ahead:

Advice (please -- keep in touch and tell us what you think)

Stuff (links, archival material, photos, videos, interviews, virtual tours, old newspaper clippings, etc.)

Help (we need people who are willing to take on support roles as we move the project forward)

All of this will be managed, for the time being, on a wiki that the Learning Technologies Centre at University of Manitoba set up: http://ltc.umanitoba.ca/histedtech/ Thanks George!

Sylvia has already added some content on the main page, and created 2 more pages:

1. Acquisitions - A place to add your links to artefacts, stories, interviews, biographies, timelines, etc. I've mined a few tidbits from our SCoPE discussion.

2. Volunteers - A place to add and sign up for jobs To create an account just click on "create account" at the top right of the main page. Thanks, Sylvia!

A wiki that summarizes our discussion from the past three weeks.

http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/wiki/view.php?id=1210 Thanks once again, Sylvia!

So, on behalf of the current "Museum Team" and with thanks to all of you for joining in and contributing so generously this month, I'll close the session with a quote from Ellen Goodman.

"There’s a trick to the “graceful exit.” It begins with the vision to recognize when a job, a life stage, or a relationship is over — and let it go. It means leaving what’s over without denying its validity or its past importance to our lives. It involves a sense of future, a belief that every exit line is an entry, that we are moving up, rather than out."

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Tuesday, 21 October 2008, 10:19 AM)

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Sunday, 17 May 2009, 02:23 PM. Fixed links from lidc.sfu.ca to bccampus.ca)

In reply to Richard Schwier

Re: One door closes; another opens

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Richard,
Thanks for the great clip. I really like to see you in the video. I think you accomplished what you wanted -- the personal connection -- as I see how you speak about the past three weeks and the future of the projects. Thanks for giving credit to your students too. Although I did not have much to contribute in this forum, I did read the links, and stories. Thanks everyone. Jo Ann
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Richard Schwier -
Thanks, Jo Ann, for the kind words and also for joining in during the session. If anything comes to mind that you think might make a good addition to the "museum", be sure to jump right in.

Great meeting you!

Rick

Thanks too Richard.

I have some ideas to follow-up -- via my Ontario family connections -- but just won't have time til mid December to do much about e-mailing properly to those folks. However, as you have stated, we can jump in as the project is really just beginning. I am amazed at all the links already given -- terrific collaborative efforts and interest shown. Bye for now, Jo Ann

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Richard, this has been an eye-opening session for me, and I even appreciate the way you so graciously are ending (or transitioning) this experience. I feel I am beginning to think about some of these topics in different ways, and really really like this how this first part of the process is concluding while paving the way for a potentially much larger next step! I hope to be able to be involved with this moving forward.
In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Richard Schwier -
Thanks, Jeffrey. You're on! If you ever want to run some ideas by me, please get in touch!

Rick

by Sylvia Currie -
I've watched so many times I'm afraid I'll wear it out. smile What a nice way to "wrap" but also, as captured in his quote from Ellen Goodman, to give us an entry to the next phase of our Virtual Museum project (aka the thing that shall be named).

I think what I admire most about this group is the willingness to take a risk -- to come together to talk about a great idea and find ways to make it work. We have laid the foundation for some really neat and if find ways to stick together and also accept that it will take time to cultivate a "museum" there's no doubt we'll be able to create an excellent resource together.

The main thing is to always keep the Virtual Museum project in mind. When you come across a resource, or find time to take a few photos of the artefacts sitting in the corner of your office, add a note to the Acquisitions page.

For example, this morning this resource from @injenuity popped up in my twitter feed. I started thinking about Personal Learning Networks -- the early discussions, the events organized around this topic (SCoPE seminar, even entire conferences!), the various definitions offered and critiqued, and so on. I thought hey, this topic needs a timeline!

Every day I come across ideas for resources that would fit our museum project and I hope you're finding the same. Now it's just a matter of finding some time to gather, organize, create...whatever it takes. Don't get too bogged down with thinking everything needs to be polished and complete. Throw it into the wiki!

Thanks so much Richard for facilitating this discussion, and for involving your students! They provided such a head start on the research and design ideas. And thanks George for planning and moderating our live sessions, and for setting us up with the wiki. And thanks everyone for your excellent contributions. We made a lot of progress together!

In the usual SCoPE tradition, this seminar discussion will remain available for you to revisit and to post your afterthoughts. Our next seminar, Managing Multimembership in Social Networks, begins tomorrow. We're kicking off the 2-week discussion with a survey and a voicethread. Hope to see you all there!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Dear Sylvie,
Thanks for another note to wrap up with after this productive venture.

I wonder hope we can be reminded about the Acquisitions page. I think it could come up in the introduction of other Scope presentations -- since it is an ongoing project. Perhaps there will be a list of projects and wikis eventually -- that are ongoing. I'm just starting to think about these knowledge management and acquisition contributions. Thanks again. Jo Ann