Classrooms as Communities?

Classrooms as Communities?

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Number of replies: 6

Nice to hear Etienne Wenger's work referenced in discussiong classroom practice. Marc has obviously spent a lot of time investigating the theories underpinning communities, and is now applying them in his own teaching. What strikes you about the concept of our classrooms as communities? 

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

Re: Classrooms as Communities?

by Tamara Porteous -
I believe that indeed, our classrooms are a community but only after we have taken the effort to ensure that this happens.  I am an elementary school teacher and as such strive to create a community within my four walls each day.  I believe the more we encourage and allow our students to act like a community, the more productive our class days will be.  Community members work together for the better of the whole, which is what I try to do in my own classroom.  As a community of learners, set on a common goal, the students work together to ensure that everyone is included and that no one is left behind.  Looking at the classroom as a community within the school community goes a long way in creating a more cohesive group of learners.
In reply to Tamara Porteous

by Elizabeth Wallace -

How encouraging to read that you are building communities in your classrooms, Tamara. What a huge difference from when I was an elementary teacher in the last century! I so disliked the teacher directed, administration dictated model of teaching that was expected then that I put my teaching certificate in a drawer and swore I'd never teach again.

And then I discovered Adult Education, and what I loved most was the bonding that happened between the adults because of shared life experiences, common goals and so on.  But adults are usually (not always) self-directed learners and many have developed the kinds of skills needed to join, build and thrive in a community of learners. Isn't it difficult with elementary aged children whose social networking skills are only just emerging? Please share some strategies you use with them

by Tamara Porteous -

Hi Liz,

Great to hear from you.  One of the first things I do in my classroom is establish a "no put-down zone" so that my students feel safe to share whatever is on their minds.  I teach my students from the beginning that everyone has something to contribute and that no idea is less valued than another.  I'll give one example of an activity that I did with my 4/5 recently.  The class had several issues both within and without the classroom.  There was a lot of bullying going on, and lines being drawn in the sand.  Seeing this, I began teaching a unit on kindness.  The firs thing I said to them was that they were going to change the world through kindness.  We began a type of secret pal program...I set up a template for the students to fill out whenever they saw a classmate showing kindness.  The students were allowed to fill these out at their own discretion, giving them the power.  As a class we read them each day and in turn post them up on the wall for all to see.  The poster was filled in no time.  I then gave all the students a class list with which they had to write one possitive or kind item about each person in the classroom, whether they were friends or not.  I then turned this data into books, each one dedicated to each student.  When the students were presented with their book, well, I can't even put into the words the impact it had on them and on myself.  As a class we also designed a community quilt, and wrote puppet plays together on kindness which they performed for the school body.  Almost every day we ended by passing a soft ball around the room and whoever got caught with it was told kind things about themselves.  I found that not only did this help in building a community, but the self esteem of each of my students shot sky high!  Each child felt valued and accepted, and by the end of that particular semester, I had students who were helping eachother and encouraging eachother.  Sorry, I know this is quite long, but I get a little carried away.  I have found that the more my students work as a team, and encourage eachothers efforts, the greater the community becomes, and the greater the learning atmosphere.

In reply to Tamara Porteous

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Wow, Tamara. I Can't begin to tell you how impressed I am by the activities you describe. I have a 14 month old grandson who is (of course) wonderfully curious and bright, and I've begun to dread the day when he would have to go to school. I'm encouraged by the fact that there are teachers like you in the system, and hope that the approaches you use will be adopted widely. Thanks for telling us about them.

by Marc Arellano -
Hi Tamara and Liz. It's refreshing to see educators questioning what we do in the classroom and our motivations as facilators of learning. It was extremely encouraging to see so many people attend the learning conference at UBCO; it's too easy to get cynical about teaching and stay in a confined comfort zone.

Tamara, I hope you don't mind if I pass along your activity to my wife who is a grade 4/5 french immersion teacher. We are both passionate about what we do in education and are always looking for new and more effective ways of supporting learning.

I do want to make one comment of COPs. I didn't have time during my session to address this issue, but it's extremely important to establish a level of comfort via intimacy whether the learning is f2f or online. One comment that many of my students make is that my classes feel really safe and intimate. I think these qualities lead to risk taking--learner and educator.

What do you think?
In reply to Marc Arellano

by Tamara Porteous -
I couldn't agree more!  In order to have a successful classroom community, students must trust eachother and feel safe enough to take risks, and put themselves out on a limb.  This is why I always try to stress the "no put down zone".  It's something I find I have to be really firm about, at least until the students understand that I'm very serious about it.  Once they do, it almost becomes a non issue.  Anyway, back to the main point... I also agree that the more safe the students feel, the easier it is for the students and myself to take risks that we might not otherwise take.  I try to be as open and honest with my students as I can and encourage them to do the same.  I know of several teachers in our area here (okanagan) who are trying to change how things have been traditionaly done in the classroom with their own students...there is a move going through the school systems for community learning and team work is being emphasized more and more...we can even see this in the corporate world.  It's great and I'm excited!  Oh, Marc, it is absolutly fine to pass on whatever ideas you wish...I hope your wife finds them useful.