Improving Peer Review of Writing with Calibrated Peer Review

Improving Peer Review of Writing with Calibrated Peer Review

by Andrea Han -
Number of replies: 5

Presentation is attached. If anyone is interested in the rubric, please let me know. We're happy to share.

- Andrea

In reply to Andrea Han

Re: Improving Peer Review of Writing with Calibrated Peer Review

by Paul Hibbitts -

Hi Andrea,

I really enjoyed your presentation with Joanne!

I am considering using peer review for an assignment, and was wondering do you usually make the act of peer review a mandatory part of an assignment (i.e. 0 marks) or do you give separate marks for the peer review itself?

Your advice/experience is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

In reply to Paul Hibbitts

by Andrea Han -

In SCIE113 the peer review component was a seperate mark (3% for the first assignment, 5% for the second and 7% for the third). Students may see peer review as "busy work" if there isn't a mark assigned and/or they aren't made aware of the benefit/importance of the process. I've certainly seen this happen, where students either don't do the review or don't make an effort to provide constructive advice (which disadvantages the people they should be reviewing). This obviously depends on the class and the students though.

In reply to Andrea Han

by Paul Hibbitts -

Thanks very much for the additional info Andrea!

Cheers,
Paul

In reply to Andrea Han

by Meg Goodine -

Hi Andrea

Thanks for a great presentation and for answering my follow up questions. I would really appreciate a look at your rubric so I can share it with the group I mentioned who are considering a CPR pilot here at KPU.

Regards,

Meg

In reply to Meg Goodine

by Andrea Han -

Hi Meg,

I've attached three files: the student rubric (which is entered into CPR), the instructor rubric (used to mark the final assignment) and the Help Page we have posted in Blackboard (links will likely not work for you).

I'm sorry we didn't get to talk at ETUG. I'm out this week, but would be happy to talk with you (or others) about advantages and challenges with CPR.

- Andrea