Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Welcome! Please introduce yourself

by Janet Salmons -
Number of replies: 20

We'll get started May 1, but feel free to introduce yourself so we can get acquainted. You can view a short greeting from me: 

I look forward to interacting with you in May! I am planning a number of synchronous and asynchronous events and hope for a lively exchange.

Warmly,

Janet

In reply to Janet Salmons

Re: Welcome! Please introduce yourself

by Becky Spencer -

Hi Janet, 

My name is Becky Spencer and I am an assistant professor in the School of Nursing at Texas Woman's University in Denton, TX.  My research compadre, a professor at Boise St., and I have been trying to figure out how we can collaborate in qualitaitve research initiatives across the miles and have discussed designing a qualitative study using blogging as a data collection method.  I am very excited to engage about online qualitative resaerch methods and learn from you!

Thanks,

Becky

In reply to Becky Spencer

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome Becky! Are you conducting a duoethnography? I look forward to hearing more, and hope you will find some new approaches that work for you.

Best,

Janet

by Christine Horgan -

Chris Horgan, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Mostly a lurker as this is my insanely busy time of year. Cheers, Chris

In reply to Christine Horgan

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome Chris! Understood. Leap in when you can! 

by Dana Hersher-Carlton -
Hello Janet, My name is Dana Hersher-Carlton and I am a Ph.D. Clinical Psychology student. I am working on a qualitative research proposal that includes the use of data that is to be collected from Life Story interviews conducted in a location far from my own. I look forward to reading your material and the upcoming topics on online qualitative research, especially with regard to conducting e-interviews. Best Regards, Dana
In reply to Dana Hersher-Carlton

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome Dana. That sounds interesting. I will look forward to hearing how your ideas evolve, as you condider various options and technologies. Are you thinkinkg of verbal stories only, or will you use pictures, media, maps etc?

Best,

Janet

by Scott Johnson -

Hi Janet, have done some online research in the past and would like to learn more. For me, the person requesting information forgot to approve my access to the College Library which turned out to be a bonus as I was able to practice my long unused journalism skills. With disciplines crossing paths the norm these days there wasn't at the time a journal available to research my topic anyway.

As an aside, my Cardiologist says she'll be doing tele-interviews with her patients soon and I can pass the information I get here on to her.

In reply to Scott Johnson

by Janet Salmons -

Hi Scott,

Journalism, medicine-- yes, there are lots of ways online research generatlly and interviews in particular can be used. While I'll be focusing on the academic side of research interviews in terms of design and approval of studies etc., the principles and decision-making are similar. Hope you find it interesting!

Best,

Janet

by Scott Johnson -

Thanks Janet, I'm interested in principals of interviews at a deeper level than I was able to achieve in my previous research, so the course should be very useful for me.

Leaving this so late I'll need an e-copy of the book. Is that available from Sage also? Didn't see the option.

And hi Nellie. Rhizo14 is still chugging along so if you have some spare time (really) come on over.

Scott

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Hi Janet and Everyone,

Great to be here. I just came back from a dance in SL for the closing ceremony of SLMOOC14. I teach full time as an EFL teacher in a high school and online in the MA program (Transpersonal Psychnology and Leadership) at Atlantic University. I am also involved in organizing informal educaton MOOCs (Moodle, Second Life, Healthy & Sustainable Living), Blog Festivals (Winter, Summer, Spring, Fall), Online Conferences (CO09-CO15 and MMVC11-14). 

I am very interested in conducting qualitative research on the process of learning and emotions. I have been following the work done by Richard J. Davidson on emotional style (affective Neuroscience) and Kristin Neff on self-compassion. I would like to learn more about meditation and learning and the work done in psychology of mind (Suarez and Mills). 

I would love to collaborate. 

by Sylvia Currie -

Hello everyone! 

Many many many thanks to Janet Salmons for continuing to bring us together to talk about online interview research. This is our 3rd SCoPE seminar (and book!) digging into this topic:

Guiding the E-Researcher - 2010

Cases in Online Interview Research - 2012

And now Qualitative Online Interviews!

We've had some fantastic experiences over the years exploring this topic as well as the technologies to support online interviews. 

Aside from looking forward to the the conversations ahead of us, I'm also here to answer any questions about your participation in SCoPE seminars, so don't hesitate to ask here in the forum or by email: scurrie@bccampus.

Sylvia
SCoPE Community Steward

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Janet Salmons -

That's right, she can't get rid of me! I keep coming back-- because I love the vibrant exchange we usually have with the diverse and interesting SCoPE community.

Thanks Sylvia!

by Linda Levitt -

Greetings! I'm Linda Levitt, and I teach communication studies. My research is primarilly at the intersection of media studies and cultural memory. Digital spaces are crucially important to this research, and I am looking for better ways to collect and make use of information collected online.

In reply to Linda Levitt

by Janet Salmons -

Hi Linda,

That sounds quite interesting. Do you have any articles or work you could share? If so, please post in the "resources" area. 

I would think that interviews would be a useful way to probe cultural memory. I hope you will join in the webinar: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:00:00  See, Share, Create: Visual E-Interviews. The visual elicitation techniques online might be valuable given your research interests. 

Best,

Janet

by Amy Drees -

Hi, everyone! My name is Amy Drees and I'm an assistant professor at Defiance College in Defiance, Ohio, USA. I recently did a brief, quantitative internet survey on contemporary memorial practices and was surprised by the number of people who wanted to give me qualitative data as well. I'm here to learn how to best do that before I construct my next survey.

In reply to Amy Drees

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome Amy.

I treat a qualitative questionnaire similiarly to a written, text-based interview. In the next discussion thread I will open a conversation about technology choices and types of data-- including text, images/visuals and audio.

Best, 
Janet

Hello from Dawn Gilmore

by Dawn Gilmore -

Hello!

Sorry I am a little late to get in here.

My name is Dawn Gilmore. I am a Phd student at Swinburne University of Technology. I will be conducting online interviews for my Phd.

I am looking forward to this!

Dawn

In reply to Dawn Gilmore

Re: Hello from Dawn Gilmore

by Janet Salmons -

Welcome Dawn! I look forward to hearing more about your research.

Best,

Janet

by Brendon Fox -
Hi Janet, What would your book launch and accompanying lectures be like if at least one of your dissertation mentees didn't register, engage, and show you some overall love and support? To the community, I'm Brendon Fox, a PhD candidate at Capella University in the School of Business and Technology and Janet is my dissertation chair. My specialization is Leadership and my research is an ethnography in mentoring minority college men. My research is conducted online and uses netnography as a tool. Hi Janet, and good luck with your launch!!
In reply to Brendon Fox

by Janet Salmons -

I hate to contemplate a loveless book launch series! Welcome Brendon, I hope you will discuss your very interesting study with the others present in the SCoPE discussion!

Best,

Janet