Existing Resources...

Re: Existing Resources...

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 2
The most innovative teacher from my highschool in the early to mid 60's actually took us to Waterloo University to learn computer programming. My most innovative mentor took me to see the research labs in the physics department of MacMaster University. As a high school student these outings stand out -- but what does not stand out positively is the hours of copying chalked noted from the board, being disciplined -- after all the whole class would be punished -- to control a few -- right -- even though I was neve a discipline problem. In the fist video -- the focus is that the teacher is "putting down the students" -- I remember in grade nine -- the teacher thought it was a good idea to throw chalk at kids.

And you mentioned Deirdre -- your daughter getting the same kind of education. Hmmm.... Some teachers, at my son's innovative school -- get the internet -- and how to use it in the classroom -- most of the high school students have labtops -- but others are teaching like they have for years -- with working with the academic students who are keen and want to learn -- except in ways that don't match them. For example -- I'm here at noon or after school if someone wants help. Most if not all of these gifted students are extremely busy (many extra classes, part-time jobs, volunteer work and extra school activities within the school) and would not respond to these offeres from someone who does not work with them -- and even just puts them down. My 2 cents as I was resonating with your post. I see so many great ways to reach these students -- and I am so grateful for the teachers who are able to change and reach out more to use the technology wisely, especially web sourcing. Jo Ann
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Don McIntosh -
Hello Jo-Ann and Deirdre,

This is a great conversation and with your permission I would like to share it with my students in the Masters of Education program at the University of Phoenix. I would just use it as food for thought. Would you mind?

Regards,

Don.
In reply to Don McIntosh

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Don,
It is fine by me. What, in particular, do you find of value for your students? Feedback is helpful to me too. Thanks
Jo Ann