Ready to Write

Ready to Write

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 9
Sandy referred to the next phase as "Ready to Write" so I thought I would carry that over here. smile

So, let's see how we should proceed...

Sharing drafts and getting feedback:

Option 1: Share drafts of chapter/sections by MS Word attachments and we use the editing/comments tool to provide feedback.
Advantage: You can use the features of Word while writing, like outline view, etc.
Disadvantage: Can be difficult to manage different versions and feedback from more than one person, unless you use round-robin which takes too long! Also, need to schedule the editing.

Option 2: Use a tool like writely.com to write. The 4 of us (June, Liz, Sandra, Sylvia) will have editing access so we can write and make suggestions on an ongoing basis. There are options to compare revisions, see who made the changes, and revert to earlier versions.
Advantage: Editing and feedback is ongoing.
Disadvantage: writing online, although you can copy paste of course.

Option 3: Upload draft sections to Quick Doc review. This tool allows others to comment on drafts (rather than edit the draft)  http://quicktopic.com/documentcollaboration
Advantage: Same as option 1
Disadvantage: Need to schedule the feedback/versions

Tentative Timeline

May 15 - Draft containing at minium introductory paragraphs and main points for each section available for project mayors to review for overlap

June 15 - Chapter image map (Did you know about this? I'll do it) ready for feedback. Next draft available for feedback

July 15 - Next draft available for feedback

August 1 -  Draft completed and submitted to Book Project editors

Sharing References and preparing bibliography

I started a thread for sharing references here http://scope.lidc.sfu.ca/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134 I was alarmed when I went back to it and say I had only added one book! I do have more good ones to add, honest. If during your writing you would like me to do any research just let me know.

Also, I use Endnote for organizing references when I write (makes the bibliography output a snap). I'd be happy to keep track of our references so you don't have to mess with formatting. You may have your own methods which is fine. Whatever works.

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Ready to Write

by June Kaminski -
Hello everyone,

We have been very quiet - are we going to use writely.com to share our work?
I need to get myself focused on this task and would like to get an update from the rest of you re how your piece of this chapter is shaping up.

All the best,
June

In reply to June Kaminski

Re: Ready to Write

by Sylvia Currie -
Stretch...rubbing eyes, coming out of very quiet sleepy state. sleepy

Gasp! Deadlines are approaching and passing us by! Thanks for waking us up, June.

I sent out a message via writely.com in case we decide to go with that. I'll get rolling on the chapter map. Here is the sample created by Shawn Berney.

Liz is in Toronto this week but is aware of what's ahead. I'm sure she'll pop in soon.

Chapter image map

by Sylvia Currie -
I fiddled with this longer than I'd like to admit! Somehow anything linear or matrix like didn't fit with my idea of course design. Does this image seem like it's beginning to represent how we're approaching the chapter?
Attachment CH4map.jpg

Re: Chapter image map

by June Kaminski -
I love this image map, Sylvia!

It helps with the organization - thanks for posting!

June

by June Kaminski -
Here's my attempt at an image map.

Chapter 4 Map - June K

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Wow, JUne. I know that I'm not officially part of this anymore (and feel very guilty at having thrown in the towel) but I had to compliment you on your graphic. It actually makes the process looks like fun!

Regards,

Liz

by Sandra McKenzie -
June, that is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing this.
In reply to Sandra McKenzie

by June Kaminski -
Thanks Liz and Sandra!!!

I have been going a little mad smile trying to finish this chapter! I am uploading my work to date..I still have sections F and G to complete, but hope to get those done by tomorrow (fingers crossed, eyes too!).

This upload is in pdf format for ease of viewing...I will give it to you in doc form Sandra when done. I have sent this to Sandy and Sylvia separately so they are both in the loop as well.

There are still some rough spots, especially near the end...editing from my end is still coming before it is finished.

Whew!

chapter 4 draft

by Sylvia Currie -
So great! Thanks June. There must be some strong vibes crossing the mountain range this morning because I was emailing you about templates at the exact time you sent this. Had a quick read and it looks absolutley fantastic! approve Off to first day of the semester orientations and workshops but more soon...
Sylvia