Drawing and using footprints

Re: Drawing and using footprints

by Scott Johnson -
Number of replies: 2

Jenny,

Regardless of how I feel about assessing things this way the fact is we need some way to express our experience of a course that rises above the usual exit surveys that are brief and meaningless. As this is my first serious attempt, it's not surprising I found a bit of a slog. As I learn the 'language' of the environment things should get easier.

Comparing mine to Lisa's and Japp's prints reveals as much about the polarized, all-or-nothing way I think. Trying new things unsettles me, making first reactions judgemental, but strangely often correct. While it helps me in editing on a tight schedule it also requires being mindful and 'versioning' my judgements. So a first reaction may be critical that eases back into a second opinion as I become comfortable with something.

My model of reviewing things comes from critiquing in fine arts classes which is about supportive honesty. Acting as another set of eyes for someone obligates you to respect their effort the way you do with anthing you are asked to do by a friend.

Ramdom thoughts:

Do you think a way around being too bound up in the time element would be to think in cycles of experience? I'm thinking that emergence might seem most afforded by the disorientation of chaotic beginnings but Maria's mentioning not to underestimate the power of young children to sort the world suggest we might overestimate 'innocence' or inexperience. (This comes to me from the idea that emergence is a form of misunderstanding "rules" or the process of completion. When, in fact emergence is actually a new understanding that is amazingly or unexpectedly complete).

In reply to Scott Johnson

by Jenny Mackness -

Hi Scott - 

Comparing mine to Lisa's and Japp's prints reveals as much about the polarized, all-or-nothing way I think

For me, this is a great sentence, because it is evidence that the footprints are not just a course evaluation tool; they support reflection and surface tacit knowledge and understanding. 

> emergence is actually a new understanding that is amazingly or unexpectedly complete

And - yes - this is exactly how I see it.

Thanks for your comments.

In reply to Jenny Mackness

by Scott Johnson -

Jenny,

Seeing the sharp spikes made me think about how similar my reactions are at the begining of all new courses. After a while I settle down to a less pointy footprint without the exreme shifts. The image shape made me think about this as something to think about rather than just "know." Surfacing of tacit knowledge as you call it is a very useful outcome. Looking at the course I see myself looking--interesting.