ETUG Community Feedback and Contest - We want to hear from You!

ETUG Community Feedback and Contest - We want to hear from You!

by Leva Lee -
Number of replies: 11
Please post a response to the following community feedback questions which will help us in our planning for 2014. A sentence or two on each topic will do!:
  • Share a really great thing that your institution has been doing this past year!
  • What themes or ideas would you like to explore at the next ETUG workshop?
  • How we should celebrate and mark ETUG’s 20th anniversary?
Rules
1. Individuals responding to the  feedback questions will be given one entry in the draw for the prize.
2. One entry will be allowed per person.
3. The cutoff date for all valid entries for the draw prize is January 14th, 2014.
4. The prize will be one complimentary registration to the ETUG Spring Workshop 2014 held on June 12/13 at Langara College.
5. The prize is valued at $130. No prize substitution or cash equivalent will be given. The prize is not transferrable. 
6. The winner of the prize will be drawn at random on Wed. January15th, 2014. 

Thank you and Good luck!

In reply to Leva Lee

Re: ETUG Community Feedback and Contest - We want to hear from You!

by Tannis Morgan -

I guess I'll start!

1.  The JI is doing a lot of experimenting and trying all kinds of new tools, devices, and activities.

2. I'd be interested in a theme around unconventional ways of delivering or supporting courses, programs, services etc.  Sort of a innovative delivery remix theme that pushes outside of the LMS delivery box.  Eg. continue with the multi-access theme, with all the mixes that are possible. Maybe some brainstorming, maybe some demo-ing. I'd also love to hear from a remote student panel, or a workplace learning student panel that challenges us to come up with creative solutions that address their challenges.

3. I think there should a 20 year anniversary ETUG special edition beer distributed as part of the conference goody bag. Or available for purchase in support of student-ETUG collaborative projects or something.

In reply to Tannis Morgan

by Leva Lee -

Thanks for getting things rolling Tannis! JIBC is doing some great stuff! We are looking forward to hearing about the demofest on Tues. Dec.10 at Noon http://etug.ca/2013/12/02/t-e-l-l-december-jibc-demofest/ (just giving it another plug!). Great ideas. thanks for sharing!

You name entered in our draw  :)

In reply to Leva Lee

by Paul Stacey -
Enjoying hearing about ETUG workshops and reading the ETUG newsletter.
Great to see things are still vibrant and lots of new members are joining.

Had a suggestion for ETUG's 20th anniversary.

It would be fun to do a series of webinars in advance of the anniversary featuring significant past members from ETUG's 20 year history. Format for the webinar would follow the old TV show "What’s My Line?" Not sure if you remember that game but its essentially a guessing game in which four panelists attempt to determine the line (occupation), or identify of a "mystery guest". As a webinar format it would work like this.

Four ETUG'ers are panelists and use their microphones to ask questions of the mystery guest. They can only ask questions which can be answered "yes" or "no". The mystery guest (logs in with name "mystery guest") answers panelist questions by typing yes or no into chat (so they aren't identified by their voice). Once their identity is guessed (or time runs out in terms of time limit) then the mystery guest picture is revealed on the whiteboard and they are invited to speak using their microphone (so you finally hear them). At that point the mystery guest could say a few words about what they are doing now, mention some memorable ETUG moments, and engage in dialogue with the panelists. One webinar could feature 2 or 3 mystery guests. 

Needs a clever name but I think it could be a fun way to celebrate people from ETUG's amazing history.

Paul Stacey
Associate Director of Global Learning
Creative Commons
pstacey@creativecommons.org
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Leva Lee -

Hi Paul! so nice to hear from you. Game shows are really fun. Ed Tech Jeopardy anyone? (We loved that and your hosting at ETUG's 15th!) Thanks for posting!  (Your name duly noted and entered in our draw.)

In reply to Leva Lee

by Zack Lee -
  1. What I love right now is that there are now options for what instructors, students, and staff can do to achieve their teaching and learning goals. May those options be collaborative spaces like the wiki, personal spaces such as blogs or community spaces such as communites of practices.
  2. I'd like to participate in a community visioning process on where do we want to go as a community of "educational technologists". What does it mean to be one? How does one get into it? We might not go anywhere concrete but at least we can start thinking of how do we get new people involved.
  3. A cruise! With fireworks! A documentary! A big cake!
In reply to Zack Lee

by Leva Lee -

Hi Zack, Thanks for contributing...boy we'll have fun exploring some of your ideas especially the cake :)  

Leva

In reply to Leva Lee

by Gina Bennett -

hi Leva, hi everybody

I'm thinking about ETUG's 20th anniversary celebration.... I love Paul's 'What's my Line?' game show idea. As many will remember, we did an ETUG 'Jeopardy' a couple of years back & it really was fun. And I like Zack's idea (however unlikely) of the cake + fireworks + cruise :) 

But when we're thinking about 20th anniversary ideas I think we really need to keep in mind our newer & brand-new attendees who may not know anything about ETUG's history (& possibly not even care). If we want a 20th anniversary celebration then I think we'll need something that's inclusive of all/most of our membership: from ETUG Emeritus who know all about the group's history to brand-new people who don't even know that they become ETUG members the moment they fill in the workshop registration form ;-)

Gina

In reply to Gina Bennett

by Leva Lee -

HI Gina,

Those are some good points about being sure we are inclusive. ETUG is very diverse and in recent years we are finding at workshops we are getting close to 50 percent all brand new people! 

If anyone has ideas for helping members to connect with each other we've been working on a few ideas but welcome more suggestions.

L

In reply to Leva Lee

by Chad Leaman -

20 years... that means etug would have started when I was 15!

Share a really great thing that your institution has been doing this past year!

Things are different for me as a non-profit, but we began a wage subsidy program -  so if you have a business of 500 people or less, I'll give you up to $30,000 to hire a person with a disability.

Personally, I've survived my first year of raising twins which was a lot harder than anything on the work front in 2013.

What themes or ideas would you like to explore at the next ETUG workshop?

Managing your digital life.  I spent some time thinking about how much time is spent with email, social networking sites, and how things are fragmented across so many tools, services, and walled gardens.  I have spent some time this holidays thinking about my work flow and how I manage this, but surely, others have thought about this as well and may have better processes.  Time Management for the overconnected?

How we should celebrate and mark ETUG’s 20th anniversary?

It's Neil Squire Society's 30th anniversary a week after this, so someone, come up with a good idea and give it the CC - Share Alike so I can steal leverarge community best practices. ;-)

Perhaps during the luncheon / breaks, have some videos from past years (short clips) of some key moments in ETUG... or ridiculous / funny moments from ETUG history.  Highlights and bloopers to have people transition into the breaks with a smile or a warm memory.

I really like Paul's idea of game show theme event.

In reply to Chad Leaman

by Leva Lee -

Happy New Year Chad! Congrats on surviving year one of twins! 

Thank you for taking what I know is very precious time to do this post. I think we all struggle with managing the our multiple threads, streams and conversations. Can be disjointed and disconcerting. So will think on what we can do...Perhaps a meetup session to brainstorm on strategies. We did this a few year's back at the Fall workshop but time for a revisit.

Or perhaps we can start a thread here with tips for folks. 

Anyway I'ill enter your name in the for the "big" draw prize.

Cheers!

L

In reply to Leva Lee

Re: ETUG Community Feedback and Contest - WINNER

by Leva Lee -

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your participation and sharing your ideas! The winner of our random draw is Zack Lee. Congrats!

L