The People Lens

The People Lens

by Richard Schwier -
Number of replies: 15
Just so we don't lose the good ideas in a different thread, could I ask this simple question:

Who are people who have a story to tell us about the history of educational technology?

Also, we would welcome you to gather any of these stories you can and contribute them. This is a good place to start, so feel free to add a story here if you have one, or you can gather one for the project.
In reply to Richard Schwier

Re: The People Lens

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
Here is my story of technology lost. Ten years ago, I homeschooled my severely, dyslexic daughter using a variety of CD-ROM based programs. JumpStart 3rd Grade and Pyramid Builder were her favourites because they were highly interactive and more dependent on her ability to think about problems than on her reading ability. She developed a love of learning and problem solving that has lasted into her adult years. Much as I love Internet technologies for their ability to connect people, most educational sites are so text-based that I want to weep (given Second Life is the exception now it has become voice-enabled). Yes, text is cheaper but I think we lost something important in education when we moved online.
In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by Richard Schwier -
And we have our first actual, bona fide contribution of a story to the museum! Thanks, Deirdre. This is an interesting "lens", I think--what are the things we have lost along the way as we moved from one dominant technology to the next?

by Nicholas Bowskill -

Hi,

On a recent UK-China elearning project we collaboratively developed an online course and I kept a journal of the experience. The journal was shared with the other tutors and became a focus/anchor etc for a highly distributed course tutoring team. If I anonymised any mention of names I thought it might be an interesting contribution to collaborative intercultural etutoring and the people involved as a day by day lived experience of an online course. Would it be of interest to the museum?

I thought it might be a good place to house such a record and something looking beyond whether we were early adopters of Mosaic etc. (also of interest too of course).

Regards,

Nicholas Bowskill

In reply to Nicholas Bowskill

by Richard Schwier -
I think this could spark any number of other kinds of contributions about intercultural collaboration -- a very important aspect of the maturation of educational technology over time. So my sense of it is that this would be a wonderful contribution, and it may provide another lens for viewing parts of the collection--an intercultural or cross-cultural lens.

Thanks NIcholas!

by Nicholas Bowskill -

Okay Richard thanks for the encouragement. I'll check I've covered ethics and maybe draw up a bit of background info (the project and course design) to give it a context too. Then I'll send it to you for consideration. It'll take me a couple of weeks to jump the hurdles and I'll get back to you asap.

cheers,

Nick

by Nick Kearney -
I would like to mention Guy Bensusan. Sadly missed.
In reply to Nick Kearney

by Richard Schwier -
Thanks, Nick. One of the neat things I'm learning about this project is that there are so many wonderful people I don't know much about. Could I impose on you to tell us about Guy?
In reply to Nicholas Bowskill

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Nicholas,
I was going over one of your postings from Oct 2, 2008 -- and you mentioned an interesting e-tutoring project (recent UK-China collaborations). I was wondering where we might find more information about this as I think it sounds terrific and not just for the museum, but for the cultural growth of e-learning and global educational.

Thanks for any lead you can give me on this. Jo Ann

by Don McIntosh -
Although he was more about adult education than technology, I would like to see Robie Kidd included. I did a video tape on him in the 80's - not long after he died. I think this might be a worthy addition to the museum.

I would like to include Ab Moore and Leslie Richards from the University of Guelph who were actively involved in the Telidon "experiments" in the 80's. I will try to talk to them.

Also I think we should include Tom Carey from the University of Guelph and the University of Waterloo.
In reply to Don McIntosh

by Cynthia Alvarado -
Do you have any of that Robie Kidd video still around? Wouldn't it be a fabulous addition if we could digitize a portion fro the museum?
In reply to Cynthia Alvarado

by Don McIntosh -
I have a copy of the tape somewhere and I am trying to track it down. I will also see about the rights. It was sponsored by the Canadian Association for Adult Education and the University of Guelph.

by Don McIntosh -
Sorry, I misspelled Roby Kidd's first name.

From my time at Syracuse University, I would like to include Don Ely, John Keller, Charles Reigeluth and Richard Clark.

We mustn't forget Benjamin Bloom and David Krathwohl. Also there are Paul Saettler, Marc Rosenberg, etc., etc.
In reply to Don McIntosh

by Richard Schwier -
These are all great additions, Don -- and some of whom were included in my little photo gallery quiz during the plenary session. Thanks for adding them to the list! We may be coming back to see if anyone has interest in gathering some of the stories/artefacts for the collection -- but that can come later.

by Grant Potter -
The Turtle

I would vote for Seymour Papert and his microworlds that gave rise to the Logo programming language. Logo and Basic were the first two languages I began experimenting with in Grade 4 and 5 and the instilled in me a lifelong curiosity in the design of code. I have installed eToys on my son's XO - another programming environment for young people influenced by Logo - and see the same enthusiasm as he explores the interactions he orchestrates through basic code design.

In reply to Grant Potter

by Richard Schwier -
I'm with you on Seymour Papert, Grant. He's definitely had a huge influence, not only on educational technology, but on the social discourse around educational technology. I'm a big fan too.