Read Like a Digital Student

Read Like a Digital Student

by Clint Lalonde -
Number of replies: 6

If you have taken up this week's optional activity of installing an eReader and reading an ePub document using the eReader software, use this topic to post your experiences with the eReader software that you used. Consider your post a review that others could use if they wanted to replicate your experince. Was the software easy/hard to install? Did you find the interface intuititive? Was it difficult loading an ePub file onto the device? What features of the software do you think would make it appealing to students?

In reply to Clint Lalonde

Re: Read Like a Digital Student

by Shivanand Balram -

I normally use the STDU viewer for ePub viewing, and a host of other file formats.(http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html). Having one viewer deal with a number of file formats is a definite plus.

In reply to Shivanand Balram

by Clint Lalonde -

Thanks for the link. I have not seen that particualr reader before. Can you do annotations with it?

by Shivanand Balram -

Unfortunately, the current version does not support annotations directly. Indirectly, you can cut/paste/write information from the ePub into any Texteditor. It would fit more into a style where you have to access lots of various digital formats and don't want to install multiple viewers.

by Shivanand Balram -

I read the research by Jim Johnson that came to the conclusion that "Students Perform Well Regardless of Reading Print or Digital Books". However, I wonder if there are flaws in the research design and so the conclusions are null and void? Does anyone see shortcomings in the research work as reported by the website?

by Shivanand Balram -

Here is the website:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130524160710.htm

by Clint Lalonde -

Hmmmm, digging into the article a bit more, I can see why you might be concerned. I am going to try to dig up the source paper to see if I can find something that outlines the methodology a bit better. Thanks for bringing it up.