CC licensing options and more free sharing of resources

CC licensing options and more free sharing of resources

by Renee Anderson -
Number of replies: 2

I was most interested in Joe's personal story and his change in thinking from a for profit one involving his copyrighted work and a publishing company to a  desire to contribute to and build a world of communal authorship and publication. I work in a university and see a world of competitiveness around promotion & tenure. I see some faculty willing to share resources and others holding dearly onto their intellectual property. I don't know if the two are necessarily connected but they might be. I wonder, would more widespread knowledge of Creative Commons and different licensing options help people to feel more comfortable with sharing their work?

Renee

In reply to Renee Anderson

Re: CC licensing options and more free sharing of resources

by Chris Wilkins -

I guess it would depend on what the "resource" was. In our department we share everything. Assignments, tests, and any other resource we develop. Now, if I took the time to write a whole book, I would gladly share it with my department and anyone else that wanted to use it but again I wouldn't want anyone to profit from my work. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this. Another teacher and I are developing a book for one of our classes so this is very pertinent to what I am currently doing.

I think you are right that once more people are comfortable with Creative Commons licensing more people will be willing to share. The Internet is such an amazing thing. It was not around when I went to school and I'm really not that old! So it will take a while for everyone to become comfortable with and trust these ideas.

In reply to Chris Wilkins

Re: CC licensing options and more free sharing of resources

by Sylvia Currie -

Renee asks:

I wonder, would more widespread knowledge of Creative Commons and different licensing options help people to feel more comfortable with sharing their work?

It seems we can't go wrong with more education around the use of Creative Commons licensing. It does takes time to understand how it all works. And right when I feel like I have a good grasp a new question will cause me to doubt myself.

In the adoption process, I wonder... do we typically begin by thinking about how we will benefit, before we consider how our work will benefit others?