Quality issues for the OERu

Re: Quality issues for the OERu

by Christine Horgan -
Number of replies: 3

Mike: eCampusAlberta (eCA) works with something like 16 colleges in Alberta. In addition to an institution's own quality measurements, eCA has its own rubric, too. This helps ensure that there is a common quality in the courses from the different members. It's a process that seems to work. Cheers, Chris Horgan

In reply to Christine Horgan

by Mika Hoffman -

Yes, that's great if there's a system-wide agreement on quality standards--and it'd be great if OERu could have such a thing. However, given that the members are all over the world, with different accreditation systems governing them, I don't think it'll be possible for us to have one single set of standards that will satisfy everyone's accreditors. So having one that gives the member institutions a certain level of comfort and predictability should be the goal--and then each institution can identify what else might need to be added to satisfy their accreditors.

In reply to Mika Hoffman

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Mika,

I think you're right, I don't think it is possible for us to develop a single set of standards to satisy everyone's needs. We also need to be mindful of ensuring pedagogical neutrality. 

I do think our network will be able to aggree "standarised elements", for example the "optimal" size of a micro course so that it fits the different credit systems which use notional learning hours as oppossed to competency-based frameworks. As you indicated in an earlier post, this will support the scalability of the model.  

In reply to Christine Horgan

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Hi Christine,

eCampusAlberta have an impressive set of quality assurance resources. Are any of these resources available under a CC-BY or CC-BY-SA license which the OERu could consider adopting and modifying for our own purposes.

If not, would eCampusAlberta consider relicensing these resources under an open license. All OERu process outputs are available under open license and you are most welcome to use anything we produce.

Working together is more productive than working alone.