Introduction

Introduction

by Nora Reyes -
Number of replies: 2

Hi, everyone!  My name is Nora Amavisca Reyes, and I have been a residential faculty member at Mesa Community College in Arizona since 1997.  It has been an amazing journey to observe and engage in the transformation of instructional and learning strategies that have evolved over the past couple of decades in response to our technological advances.  What a great example of life-long learning, as technologies are constantly changing!  

Last summer I participated in a project to develop a website with free online sources for one of the classes I teach, enabling us to get rid of the course textbook.  I am taking this workshop to learn how I might refine this site as well as create another for a different class.  Since the use of OERs is also being promoted by our Maricopa County Community College District, I want to make sure I am well-informed as we move in this direction.

Looking forward to learning with/from you all : )

In reply to Nora Reyes

Re: Introduction

by Carole Mackewich -

Hi Nora,

Your post interested me because I am hoping to create an entire open source text for one of my classes. I'm still not sure if this is something I can do (I don't know anything about open source texts), but if I can't, maybe I should consider developing a website with free online sources for the class.

Since open source texts exist, it's obviously possible to create one, but I'm having difficulty finding resources for my discipline (Career and Life Planning). 

If anyone has ideas, I would really appreciate your ideas and suggestions.  I'm hoping to make this a sabbatical project, but I don't want to take it on if I can't find open source materials to create an entire text.

Carole

In reply to Carole Mackewich

Re: Introduction

by Mary Burgess -

Hi Carole,

There is definitely some difficulty finding open resources in some subject areas. In my experience, much of the focus so far has been on STEM subjects and those which have high enrolments. The project I'm working on falls into the latter category. That said, I am definitely seeing movement in the direction of sharing resources in other areas as awareness of OER becomes greater. I think many instructors are feeling as you do, that they would like to use OER, but have a tough time finding them. We have a list of places to look on our website which may be helpful to you.

In week 4 of this workshop, Clint Lalonde will be looking at finding, evaluating and modifying existing OER, so you'll get some guidance there.