Looking Forward

Looking Forward

by Suzanne Touahria -
Number of replies: 1

I work in the Nursing Program at Vancouver Community College in Vancouver, British Columbia.

More and more students are questioning why they should buy heavy expensive texts that are out of date a year after the publication date.  And why not?  The internet hosts a variety of free and up to date resources.  After having recently found glaring mistakes in two of our most expensive texts (one that weighs aprox 5kg), I'm left feeling that our students might not be getting great value for their money.  I'm looking forward to exploring the option of open textbooks for our program! 

Suzanne

In reply to Suzanne Touahria

Re: Looking Forward

by chris potter -

You have a very strong case for using open textbooks and getting away from being dominated by the publishers.

In math at VCC the publishing companies keep putting out new (and more expensive) updates to their text books that very often just rearrange the topics in a different order! We as Instructors have to then revamp our whole program to fit the new text being sold by the bookstore!

We need those open texts urgently. If students didnt have to buy anything it would be incredible!!!!

cheers

C