OERu 13.09 - Session 1: The OERu point of difference?

Re: OERu 13.09 - Session 1: The OERu point of difference?

by Irwin DeVries -
Number of replies: 2

Maybe learners don't care (or notice) much at the outset as to whether the OERu has open processes or not, but they may well be surprised when they find out that "open" as in Coursera includes prohibiting the use of their MOOCs for credit elsewhere, as noted in the Textbook Zero thread. That is definitely a point of difference that needs to be part of the OERu's marketing message. That seems like quite a biggie, in my opinion.

In reply to Irwin DeVries

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Definitely a biggie to be included on the student FAQ page of the OERu launch website.

Have made a note. 

In reply to Irwin DeVries

by Joyce McKnight -

Yes, non-tranferability is certainly a big one...do they mean that students can't transfer a MOOC and call it their learning experience?  Or do they mean that they can't claim it as background for their knowledge of a topic (without asking for credit)...For instance in the PLA I am familiar with the student defines his/her learning, the college assesses it, and an agreement is made about credit to be received...we would probably not transfer in a MOOC of any kind that did not have credit from an accredited institution...but we would transfer in documented knowledge which could have been gained from a MOOC.

Long before MOOC's or even the internet there were workshops etc. that provided knowledge but no systematic evaluation (like a proctored exam etc) that could not be brought in transfer, but students could and did use as one of several ways of documenting learning for the PLA process...

As I understand it the OERu courses would be transferrable as courses...but the other thing I hope the OERu will work on is encouraging an easy way for student to document prior learning will simultaneously working to get institutions to give credit for it.   I wish we would work on that side of the equation...but may be a lonely voice in it.