OERu 13.09 - Session 1: The OERu point of difference?

Re: OERu 13.09 - Session 1: The OERu point of difference?

by Christine Horgan -
Number of replies: 2

Irwin, Brian, and Wayne:

I'm really glad we're continuing this conversation (from last year). Could you please, though, remind the less-bright participants (that'd be me in this case) what an xMOOC and a cMOOC are and how they differ from a "regular" MOOC.

Thank you, Christine (Chris) Horgan

In reply to Christine Horgan

by Haydn Blackey -

Hi Chris,

My understanding, for what it is worth, is that a xMOOC is a MOOC using traditional pedagogy across new media to deliver (mainly) paid for learning or as tasters for paid for learning - think Udacity and Coursera. A cMOOC, where c is for constructivist, is the type of webwide learning opportunity which the learner navigates for themselves, supported by others on the journey. These were pioneered by Stephen Downes and George Siemens.

Cheers,

Haydn

In reply to Haydn Blackey

by Joyce McKnight -

Empire State College has been doing some interesting cMOOCs our longest running one moderated by Carol Yeager and Betty-Hurley Dasgupta is on Creativity.  We have a new one on Metaliteracy moderated by our Dean Tom Mackey and his colleague from SUNY Albany and I hope to develop one on Community Organizing in the coming year.  They are great fun and very different from the xMOOCs.