Clock-hours for Workshop

Re: Clock-hours for Workshop

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 0

Thanks, Megan! It's interesting to explore this idea because there are cases where learning professionals (and their employers) seek some sort of recognition for learning activities such as conferences, workshops, and webinars, etc. 

While we don't have a credit/clock hour system for BCcampus professional learning, that model is similar to the credit system for formal programmes in colleges and universities. But I'll try to explain...

In the Open Textbooks Workshop we anticipate participants will spend 3 hours per week on average. However, the workshop is rather informal, so individuals may choose to participate according to their own schedule and interests. Also, it it modularized, so participants may choose to focus on one or more topics (weeks). So the estimate of 3 hours per week is based just as much on the realities of work life for busy professionals, as on how much time individuals may choose to invest. Does that make sense in some twisted way? :-) Of course, if participants decide to really dig in and begin the process of adopting or adapting an open textbook, they could spend much more than 12 hours over 4 weeks.

An approach that might work better for informal learning activities such as this is for people seeking "credits" to submit something at the end of the workshop to indicate which learning outcomes were achieved, and how many hours were spent on workshop activities. Not sure if that would be sufficient for recertification (or other purposes). I could provide a workshop outline and something to confirm participation, if that's helpful.

Thanks again for bringing this up. I don't have a sense how widespread requests like this are. In any case, I hope we can support your needs!

Sylvia