Week 3: Campus-Based Educational Development: Directions

Week 3: Campus-Based Educational Development: Directions

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 7

Apologies about the "test" messages earlier this week. We were experiencing some issues with the forum subscriptions on the SCoPE site. Hopefully it's all fixed now!

This week we are moving into our third topic in this series: 
Campus-Based Educational Development: Directions

Please join the session today at 10am PDT (your time zone) in Blackboard Collaborate: http://urls.bccampus.ca/scopeevents

Details about this series and links to archives and resources are all in the forum description here: http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/view.php?id=8987

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Week 3: Campus-Based Educational Development: Directions

by Sylvia Currie -

On Tuesday we once again had an engaging discussion as part of our Educational Development series. Thanks Nancy and those who joined in!

The main forum page has been updated with the recording link, and I'm embedding the slides below.

As with previous weeks we are doing a repeat session to accommodate work schedules. Join in today at 13:00 PDT in the SCoPE Blackboard Collaborate room

View more presentations from BCcampus

by Nick Noakes -

A couple of thoughts from just watching 15 mins in to the session recording (it keeps freezing for mins on end while it downloads. then plays for a few mins and freezes again ... so far 45 mins to get 15)

There is perhaps another model to be added, that of central-discipline (e.g. UBC in CA, large unis in the US and even in my own small research intensive uni in Hong Kong). I don't thnk it is the same as integrated as it comes from a very different rationale. Did this come up in your research?

I also don't see these as a cycle necessary. A systems thinking diagram labelling the tensions that make shifts between models or back and forth might help.

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Sylvia Currie -

Thanks for dropping in Nick! As you can see we didn't organize this seminar with an emphasis on the asychronous discussion, as is the tradition in SCoPE. So just in case Nancy Randall isn't checking in I've sent a note to alert her. She will appreciate the feedback!

Sorry about the troubles with the recording. I wonder if it was just an issue at the time you tried to listen. All seems ok right now. If the problem persists I can convert the recording to another format.

by Nick Noakes -

Still having the same problems today re viewing the recording. I will be so glad when BB Collaborate roll out their mp4 recording output so a session can be downloaded and played locally.

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Nancy Randall -

Good to hear from you, Nick. Yes, you're correct about the disciplinary approach to educational development. That model was included with the set of 7 models of educational development. I didn't include it in the directions summary as there was only one institution in our study that identified the disciplinary model.  It however is an important development for a number of reasons and, for a number of good reasons, we may see more of the decentralized disciplilnary units or elememts of that type of unit developed in the future. 

In regards to whether the models develop as a cycle, you're correct in stating that is not necessarily the case. However, for many institutions, the beginning stages of educational development often have elements of the volunteer and /or 5% models and the next stages are often the part-time or full-time coordinator or director model.

I agree, the tensions and ebb and flo of the movements of educational development are most intriguing and we are working with those ideas in the longitudinal chapter for this study.  As one example of the types of changes, for the comparable year 2000 study, the group of study institutions was noted for the stability of their educational development structures. For this longitudinal study, completed 11 years later, the study institutionsl were marked by major changes undeway in educational development structures and practices. Lots to think about! 

In reply to Nancy Randall

by Nick Noakes -

Nancy, thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a full report of the study (or a draft?) that I could access with the 7 models included and other elements of the research findings?

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Nancy Randall -

Hello Nick-

Thanks for your questions. We are in the final stages of the study, which is quite comprehensive as we've asked questions about a wide range of educational devleopment structures and practices. We are now working through a review of all sections as well as final editing and proof-reading. We plan to have the graphics incorporated in the final study by mid-summer. Sylvia Currie has offered to post the campus-based educational study through the BCcampus website.

Several draft excerpts are available now and are posed in the SCopE background reading section:

http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/view.php?id=8987

The first excerpt synthesizes the values of educational development as made evident through the institutional abstracts.  The seond and third excerpts provide a conceptual framework for dimensions of educational development which we created as part of a meta-analysis of the study findings. One of the dimensions considered is models of educational development. Hope this is helpful. 

Best,

Nancy Randall