Part 4: Visual and Verbal Interviews

Re: Part 4: Visual and Verbal Interviews

by DR. ILA ALLEN -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Janet,

I appreciate the thorough tips.  I have yet to encounter Capella's IRB but it will be happening soon. I do find this phenomenon of online research & interviewing so fascinating and glad I am able to participate in it.  I know it is still fairly new to the research arena but it grows everyday.  I have defined and described my target population and it is a total virtual community and the population is world-wide.  I may do what Nellie did and omit the video part (or just have it as an option) and just use audio but will get permission to do both.  The webinar was very informing as well.

Thanks

Ila

In reply to DR. ILA ALLEN

Re: Part 4: Visual and Verbal Interviews

by Janet Salmons -

I generally suggest a consistent approach. So either use the video, or not. Advantages, besides non-verbal cues, include the greater potential for synchronicity...in Cases I discuss the degree of focus regardless of whether or not the tools allow for real-time exchange. Simply, if you can see the person you know they are there paying attention, and not trying to chat with 3 other people! For one thing, you then know whether the person is thinking about the answer, or doing something else.

I think the visual exchange helps to create a natural exchange and build trust and rapport. So even if you are not specifically collecting data about the nonverbal cues, facial expressions etc., you can use the video part to further your process.