Your plans for an e-book or e-pub?

Re: Your plans for an e-book or e-pub?

by Scott Leslie -
Number of replies: 1

Well isn't this timely - just about to finish off the latest in my "Open Textbook Authoring" series of posts with one on Booksprints and ways to support them, both f2f and virtually. I will leave the details to that post, but a few comments:

- if you haven't read it, the Booksprint methodology page (and the site as a whole) is a great intro to the concept and practice.

- I think the idea has real merit, especially because a good chunk of content for the proposed book will already have been created in these forums and discussions and so a lot of what remains will be collaborative rearranging, massaging, filling in the gaps, and the approach is not only good for that, it also respects the fact that we're dealing with lots of busy mid-career working people, and this would help it not drag out

- one group that has pioneered an approach that, while not identical to booksprints, is close and shows how well this can work virtually, is the P2PU organizing group. Their technique (from what I've heard - I have not participated in these) is a combination of synchronous voice chat (any of elluminate, skype or google hangout could work) side-by-side with an etherpad document for real-time collaborative note taking and editing. As luck would have it, we run an etherpad installation at http://abbott.bccampus.ca:9001/

So don't want to steer this at all, but if people were interested in trying this out, I could be game for that, even if it were just a couple of hours to hammer out a table of contents and agree on what else needed to be done and who'd do what.

Cheers, Scott

In reply to Scott Leslie

Re: Your plans for an e-book or e-pub?

by Richard Schwier -

Steer it!  Please steer it!  This is a great idea, Scott, and I wonder if we can pull it off as a wrap up activity for this seminar?  You game?