About writing in any medium

About writing in any medium

by Richard Schwier -
Number of replies: 7

Okay, here's something I'd love to get your take on.  I'm betting everyone dropping into this SCoPE seminar is a writer. We write papers, articles, poems, letters to Aunt Carol, proposals, reports ... you get the idea.

What is the most enjoyable writing project you ever completed?  Would that work translate well to doing an e-pub?  And when you do large writing projects, how do you organize yourself?  Do you have any rituals, superstitions or approaches you’re willing to share?

Here's a little superstition of mine:  I almost always start a new writing project by going to an office supply store (and a superstore is even better). In Saskatoon, I'll go to the nearest Staples and wander up and down the aisles, fondling pencil sharpeners, picking out some new gel pens, finiding just the right kind of binder and notebook. I consider it an act of writing, not brash consumerism.  As I walk around I'm thinking constantly about my writing project.  I consider what I want to do with it and what it might look like when I'm done. I fuss over what things might help me build my writing nest. When I'm finished, I have fresh energy for starting a new project and a few new shiny objects to play with during the process. 

In reply to Richard Schwier

Re: About writing in any medium

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -

I love writing/creating. My favourites recently have been my wiki http://medicaleducation.wetpaint.com/ where I get 1000 readers a month and my paper manual for our two day teaching wksp. I recently received over 300 requests for the manual from universities North America wide, so yes I have been thinking about e-publishing. Smile!

In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by Richard Schwier -

There's nothing like an audience to ignite an interest in writing more, right?  :-)  I've had the same experience.  I'm running Google Analytics behind my download page for my latest book and it is soooo much fun seeing how many people are downloading it and seeing where they come from.  That's way better than a small royalty cheque arriving 18 months after a book is published.  Really.  It is.

by Alice Macpherson -

Finishing my doctoral thesis and sending it out into the world has been the most enjoyable writing/publishing that I have done recently.

One that I am particularly fond of is a couple hundred pages on Cooperative Learning of which the bulk is strategies that have been documented from my colleagues and some ideas on building your own techniques.

The novel that I collaborated on is making me think more about writing more fiction.

In reply to Alice Macpherson

by Richard Schwier -

Oh my, a novel?  I'm impressed.  And collaborative?  I'm doubly impressed!  I've never even tried to move into fiction (beyond the lies I tell in my teaching to make a point!). :-)  How do you find the process of writing different when you're writing fiction vs. your doctoral research?

by Heather Ross -

Alice, I would love you hear more about your collaborative fictiion project. A colleague and I have been toying with that idea recently.

by Bill Thimmesch -

Hi There,

Sorry if my post is redundant, but I'm just scanning the thread.  Did you mention a web site/ Google Doc, or other place I can find your doctoral thesis on Cooperative Learning?  Best,

Bill Thimmesch

by Heather Ross -

I had no idea about our shared love of office supplies. :) I'm planning to purchase a shiny new object to write with in the coming weeks - a MacBook Pro (my first laptop) on which I will promptly install Scrivener. 

We should really talk writing some time.