User stories as parallel and ongoing activity for the live planning session

User stories as parallel and ongoing activity for the live planning session

by Wayne Mackintosh -
Number of replies: 10

This SCoPE seminar is a live planning activity of the OERu activity to design a system for Academic Volunteers international.

In parallel with our discussions of the different threads which will emerge during this forum, we invite all participants to submit user stories for the design of AVI. A user story is one or more sentences written in everyday language of the end user that captures what the user wants to achieve.

User stories should be submitted in WikiEducator (examples are provided).

The development of user stories is a sub-activity of the main activity for designing a system for Academic Volunteers International (AVI). Here you will see how the task of designing AVI is structured within the large logic model for implementing the OER university.

Look forward to reading and contributing user stories.

From

Vasi and Wayne 

In reply to Wayne Mackintosh

Re: User stories as parallel and ongoing activity for the live planning session

by Joyce McKnight -

Wayne:  I am unclear about what you mean by "user story"...could you please clarify.  JMcK

In reply to Joyce McKnight

by Jim Tittsler -

Collecting user stories is one of the tenets of agile development.  You attempt to succinctly describe what the consumer of your service really wants. In an ideal world, the stories would be built by synthesizing common threads that appear in interviews with real users (students/learners in this case), but usually they can emerge from putting yourself in the user's position.

By trying to understand the "stories" users present about what they hope to get done, it is then possible to go on to build a more formal specification of how you could meet those needs.  The process tries to separate the "what" from those implementation details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Joyce McKnight wrote,

I am unclear about what you mean by "user story"...could you please clarify. JMcK

You will find more information on the user story page in WikiEducator. There are also a few examples being posted by SCoPE seminar participants. 

by Joyce McKnight -

Thanks Wayne.  I will give it some thought and reply later.

by Prof. Supten Sarbadhikari -

Thanks Wayne.

I have added my user story at the General Academic Volunteers section.

With warmest regards

Supten

In reply to Prof. Supten Sarbadhikari

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Hi Supten.

Thanks for volunteering a user story :-)

by Joyce McKnight -

Hi Everyone:  I am teaching Community Organizing to a group of adult students all of whom have gone through a process similar to what we are proposing.  I discussed our efforts last night (12/4/11) on a Blackboard Collaborate session.  I have attached what they said.   JMcK  (Empire State)

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Hi Joyce,

Brilliant idea -- thanks for taking the initiative. We now have inputs from "authentic" students.  Next time you meet with your Community Organizing student please express our thanks and let them know that their contributions have all been included into the user stories which will be used by the OER Foundation and OERu anchor partners to design and implement the AVI system.

I have also added a new category of volunteer -- NGO volunteer as a result of the suggestion by your Haitian student.

BIG  thank you. 

by Joyce McKnight -

I have another session of the same course on Thursday (Friday for you).  I will ask for their ideas as well.  J.

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Fantastic!

We're getting authentic student input from learners with a keen interest and experience in community organisation.

You can use the user story page as a resource to minimize duplication. 

Feel free to distribute 5 Things you should know about the OER university network plan - It provides a succinct summary of the model (and is openly licensed ;-))

Thanks again for your intiative in helping us get input from learners.