Live Webcast Sept 7, 2011

by Paul Stacey -
Number of replies: 10
Designing OERu Credentials
When: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 14:00 PST (see your time zone)
Where: Blackboard Collaborate

This Designing OERu Credentials live web conference session provides everyone with an opportunity to contribute ideas and suggestions for OERu credentials. We'll summarize discussion so far and hear from Wayne Mackintosh on the latest thinking and plans for the OERu. Conducted in Blackboard Collaborate (formerly Elluminate) and hosted by Paul Stacey, participants are invited to submit questions, suggestions, or requests in advance by simply replying to this post.

The session will be recorded.

How to participate:

To join the web conference enter the Blackboard Collaborate room up to 30 minutes before the start of the session. Type your full name when prompted; no password is required.

If you have not previously attended an Blackboard Collaborate Live web conference, visit the Blackboard Collaborate On-demand Learning: Web Conferencing site and review the For Participants resources. It's 5 minutes well spent!

Hope to see you there!

In reply to Paul Stacey

Re: Live Webcast Sept 7, 2011

by Wayne Mackintosh -
Paul,

Thanks for setting up the webinar -- look forward to connecting synchronously with colleagues on the list.

Something we may want to consider and discuss -- Suggestions for summarising this SCoPE seminar and how best to table and integrate the suggestions from the seminar at the November meeting of founding anchor partners who will be planning and taking implementation decisions for the OERu.

Wayne
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Reminder -- SCoPE OERu live webcast

Don't forget our live webinar ... on Wednesday 7 in the US and Canada and Thursday 8 September in New Zealand.

When: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 14:00 PST (see your time zone)

Where: To join the web conference enter the Blackboard Collaborate room up to 30 minutes before the start of the session. Type your full name when prompted; no password is required.

Please post agenda items, questions and points of discussion by replying to this post.

Look forward to chatting live with the all OERu pioneers.

In reply to Wayne Mackintosh

by David Porter -

Here are my questions for consideration…

---

How soon and in what manner can we get past the hypothetical and move towards an action agenda?

For example:

• What will be the process for selecting an initial program or credential at which a strategy that includes content, learner support processes and assessment options can be aimed?
  • When and how can we begin to build an open data library of resources such as:  
    • Program and course descriptions
    • Course outlines and course information sheets
      • Potential OER resources to match courses
      • PLAR portfolio templates to match program or course options
      • Sample challenge exams
  • Can we describe an affordable business model that will attract actual students? There is a movement in the US to build a $10K baccalaureate. What is the cost threshold that OERu seeks to achieve?

Maybe too much for one web conference. But, these are the question I have.

d.

In reply to David Porter

by Paul Stacey -
David:

Thanks for these questions and calling for a push past the hypothetical to an action agenda.
Will weave your questions in to the upcoming webcast and welcome you to say a few words about each during the webcast with an aim to generating action next steps.

Paul

In reply to David Porter

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Hi David,

Good questions - -I'm just as excited to move forward with an action agenda. Wow - -we're actually planning the implementation of the OERu network. Responses below in case we missed anything during the webinar.

David Porter wrote,

What will be the process for selecting an initial program or credential at which a strategy that includes content, learner support processes and assessment options can be aimed?

Discussions during this SCoPE seminar provide a solid foundation for review and consideration among the anchor partners. This saves the network time and energy.

We will post the process and procedure for selecting the initial program in the wiki and anchor partners will take a decision at the November meeting. Regarding content, pedagogy, learner support etc -- similarly we will discuss options openly in the wiki. USQ is working on a prototype or representative sample which we can use as a concrete example for review and improvement and implementation decisions. for dec

David Porter wrote,

When and how can we begin to build an open data library of resources such as: course outlines, info sheets OER content mapping etc.

We will begin immediately once we have agreed the credential(s) - -so that would be mid November. WikiEducator will be the springboard for co-ordinating these activities and we will be using appropriate open source technologies where the wiki is not the best technology for the specific job. Between now and November, I'm hoping we can start structuring the wiki pages for the planning of the OERu. These processes will also include sample courses, assessment models, assessments, exams etc developed collaboratively in the wiki. We are also intending to publish all process and strategy documents under open content licenses - so for example, the OERu will produce an "exemplar" PLR policy which could be incorporated and adapted by anchor partners and other interested institutions.

David Porter wrote,

Can we describe an affordable business model that will attract actual students? There is a movement in the US to build a $10K baccalaureate. What is the cost threshold that OERu seeks to achieve?

Yes we can. The Chief Executive of Otago Polytechnic has agreed to convene the group who will be working on the open business model component of the logic model. However, we do have a high-level concept of the broad parameters of the business model:

• Independent study materials/courses based on the assembly of existing OERs and released as OERs which incorporate student-content interactions, formative assessment, peer-to-peer student support plus emerging digital pedagogies. Based on the current number of anchor partners we estimate that each partner will assemble a maximum of three courses giving us a total of 21 courses at this time. No cost to student
  • The price of assessment and credential services will be determined by the local context and host institution. The OER Foundation / OERu does not dictate the price. Most partners are aiming to provide these services on a cost recovery basis - -but would be free to charge any price. As an open network - -normal market principles will apply and I image OERu students will make use of the best quality services at the most appropriate price. In the New Zealand context -- providing a rough guestimate I believe it would be possible to provide assessment and credentialing services for significantly less than the $10K baccalaureate. In the absence of crunching real numbers -- I think that 50% of that cost is doable. Cost to student - -Local cost-recovery of assessment and credential services. In some countries locals may be funded by government grant.
  • Institutional investment cost is the cost of Gold membership of the OER Foundation -- i.e. $4K per annum assuming multi-year membership discount plus the time to assemble 2 - 3 courses. The course development time is actually sunken cost for those anchor partners who are smart -- because this cost would already be expended on developing courses within the traditional delivery - so technically no new money is needed. Recurrent delivery costs are recouped . So exposed investment "risk" is no more than $5K per annum -- however the returns on international branding are huge.

In reply to Wayne Mackintosh

by David Porter -
Thanks for these responses, Wayne.

Clearly, all of the tough questions are being dealt with in a business-like manner that will give confidence to the anchor partners and others who may wish to join the OERu consortium.

Bravo.
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Pheo Martin -
For me, the primary agenda item is :can OERU provide academic credit? The idea is excellent, but the blocks are many. Where is the Foundation in this process, and what is the strategy for coordinating with universities for academic credit? Part of this, is having an accepted assessment methods with universities. "Challenge for Credit" has some precedent to work with. What are our other options.

I see some American Universities more willing to offer free online classes, but with no credit given. The unique educational purpose of academic credit is commendable, but how possible at this point? Pheo *~*
In reply to Pheo Martin

by Paul Stacey -
Pheo:

Thanks for contributing your primary agenda item. Expect we'll hear in today's webcast that the anchor partners in the OERu are prepared to give academic credit, so that barrier may already be gone. However, as the webinar topic points out (Designing OERu Credentials) the inaugural credential is still being defined.

Thanks for pointing out that the assessment method is critical to success. Today's webinar will identify a number of assessment methods so hope you can join in on the discussion around this. During the webinar I'll welcome your comments and thoughts about Challenge for Credit.

Paul
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Paul Stacey -
Slides used in support of this webcast have been posted to Slideshare at http://www.slideshare.net/BCcampus/designing-oeru-credentials

If you missed the webcast feel free to watch the recording.
During the webcast I gave everyone moderator privileges and a couple of participants triggered the start recording before we really got underway so suggest you start watching at about the 28:26 mark (I haven't had a chance to edit the recording).

Paul
In reply to Paul Stacey

by simon fenton-jones -
Thanks Paul,

While I'm listening. I take it you use Elluminate for all the live sessions. Do you use any others? Do you use anything like Skype for a quick informal chat? I hope you don't mind me popping in from time to time to ask questions like this. I'm just working my way through the (open) infrastructure that OERU (and quite a few other secretariats) will need with the guys who run your National networks. Here's one.

I gotta say though, as far as the first credential is concerned, I still think a Masters of Comms (global) would be a natural. I know credentials are important, but most students i know just want a job.

Funny part is that you don't have to do anything more than what you're doing here. I point my silent geek friends at this domain and just show them how a community is (being) built. All the best.