Non-traditional OERu Models

Re: Non-traditional OERu Models

by Asif Devji -
Number of replies: 1
Hi Simon,

Sorry for the late response -- I took the time to go through your info and links -- excellent idea & excellent initiatives to move it towards implementation.

For me, the model you're proposing fills in the tech gaps in the OERu concept in terms of providing common networks to undertake learning communications & collation of/access to learning materials.

Question: Would an independent learner not associated with a university be able to become part of the networks?
In reply to Asif Devji

Re: Non-traditional OERu Models

by simon fenton-jones -
You're right. It's one of the problems. But most of that can be developed by including a guest account, which apps like Moodle can handle. This is a 'levels of access' (configuration) challenge. e.g. You can read everything. But might not be allowed to write unless you're enrolled in a course. (maybe via a paywall). I'm sure you and others have some ideas of a broader credentialing process; the most open being for gov's to issue credits to a lifelong learning account.

So far as "insiders" are concerned, there's a road to plough in getting the geeks (my affectionate term for network app managers) to align a country's federated Institutional credentials with a combination of apps (services in network speak). This is the Australian view.
Refeds provides the best illustration of the international perspective. I'm rounding up a few refed cats. But progress requires a few global OER communities to go "woof!surprisesurprise (at the same time.)

The problem for me has always been how to come up with a non-institutional directory to an experts group's global space. E.g. This seminar is hosted on a domain called bccampus.ca, with the research discipline classified as (say) New education systems/pedagogy. Even if OERers went to their individual refed guys and said "we want a Moodle and xxx on the (con-federated) common services list" you'd still want a way to tie the apps to an IP address, so that the Community could be found, apps shared, and the goings-on, left with associated materials, as a (long term) archive.

You'd also want a way to tie the real time comms to an IP address, so E.g. when you logged onto a moodle, you could see who else was online and have a chat/conference. (Time zones are a problem). OUUK did do this quite well a few years ago, for a while, but it can't be sustainable unless you develop the services as a global (inter-NREN) ones. (quality-of-service issues as well)

Please keep in mind that with a directory, I'm only talking about the DNS scheme. Each IP address could be hosted anywhere (or same place). Also, the combination of services attached to each could vary.
Thanks for the interest.