Jumping Right In

Re: Is it best to use OERs as a starting point?

by Joyce McKnight -
Number of replies: 0
Hi Nellie: I am not sure I understand your question about unaffiliated teachers. If a good part of the OER-u network is based on prior learning assessment portfolios then presumably students could gain their learning anywhere including workshops etc. provided by independent instructors charging for their services...on the other hand, if you are wondering if the affiliated institutions will have to somehow have enough "paying" students in a particular section to cover the cost of a teacher, I am afraid they probably will...I am not sure, though, that they would need to add anything for overhead (sunk costs).

In another life I was a college administrator in an off-campus center. I always ran courses even with small numbers if I had enough tuition to cover the teacher's stipend...but I don't imagine many institutions would feel they could afford to offer completely free things.

I do like the MOOC model (although not the huge size) where some people register for credit and receive grades etc. and others can just join for free. In that model, the paying students would get their credit directly from the sponsoring institution...the other participants would have to somehow document their learning and add it to a PLA portfolio...it would be the student's choice...I hope this makes sense to others...it does to me.wink