How about this - define curriculum development

How about this - define curriculum development

by Bill Thimmesch -
Number of replies: 3

http://oak.ucc.nau.edu/mr/cte592/Module_1/Curriculum_Development_An_Overview.html

I guess from all the discussion, it seems hard to automate what we can't see.  So let's try this:  can we agree on a single definitin of what is meant by the term, "curriculum development."?

Bill

In reply to Bill Thimmesch

Re: How about this - define curriculum development

by Edward Mokurai Cherlin -
On Thu, June 16, 2011 3:00 pm, Bill Thimmesch wrote:
>
> SCoPE: Seminars -> Forums -> Automating Instructional Design: June 6-24,
> 2011
> -> How about this - define curriculum development
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> How about this - define curriculum development
> by Bill Thimmesch - Thursday, 16 June 2011, 11:25 AM
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> http://oak.ucc.nau.edu/mr/cte592/Module_1/Curriculum_Development_An_Overview.html
> [1]
>
> I guess from all the discussion, it seems hard to automate what we can't
> see. So let's try this: can we agree on a single definition of what is
> meant by the term, "curriculum development."?

Historically this has not been possible, because of the deep divide between those who want to educate children to be cogs in a church, state, or corporation, and those who want to educate children for understanding and for active citizenship.

The first group includes Plato (Republic and Laws), the 18th-century Prussian regime that invented cookie-cutter factory-automation education, and assorted ideological and religious groups who want their children protected from outside infection.

The second group includes Aristotle, Plutarch, scientists generally, some religious groups, John Dewey (Democracy and Education), William James, Maria Montessori, and the whole long line of education reformers since, right down to Alan Kay, Seymour Papert, Jerome Bruner, and me. What about you?

A second issue for those working on one-to-one computing is integrating computer software into every school subject. We have little idea what is the earliest age when children can learn ideas with computer assistance, and how deeply they can understand, but we know for sure that the answer is, Sooner than you think, and, Better than you think.

> Bill
>
>
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://oak.ucc.nau.edu/mr/cte592/Module_1/Curriculum_Development_An_Overview.html

See also

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai/Quotes

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Replacing_Textbooks
In reply to Edward Mokurai Cherlin

by Justin Student -
I tend to agree with Edward that on a deeper level, you need to gain context by asking what purpose the curriculum is serving; perhaps along a historical continuum ranging from an oppressive control-based purpose to a free open learning citizens approach.

The latter is more consistent with the more recent emergence of contructivism as a teaching theory (growing from contructivist learning theory) suitable for innovative instructional delivery that takes advantage of new and old technology.

Edward, in your example of integrating technology (software) into every school subject, I agree it is difficult to know at what tender age computer assistance is actually beneficial. However, I tend to think that if the growth of multi-sensory computing devices (see, hear, speak, touch) is any indication of what may be happening, it may be telling us that as we get better at integrating computer assistance with the fundamental human senses, the limitation shifts to that bestowed by the young individual and their cognitive abilities (including their own association with their senses).

What are your thoughts on the appropriation of technology in different cultures? That is, do you think that software apps on devices should be created within and by those in the local context (e.g. for Ugandans, by Ugandans)? Or, can we make these in English 1st world and have them translated into local language?

In reply to Bill Thimmesch

by Sylvia Currie -
Bill's question "what is meant by the term "curriculum development" stuck with me all week, causing me to pay attention to conversations that I may have missed otherwise.

I've just returned from 2 conferences in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan -- TLt and STLHE where I kept noticing attempts to define curriculum and curriculum development. I wonder if this is because we still don't know, or because our definitions are shifting.

I also heard references to curriculum as something that is predetermined, and exists even before the students show up. I heard "deliver the curriculum" more than once.

Then today in my inbox I read a statement about curriculum being "chosen" by someone. I didn't know what to make of it. It struck me that Bill's question: is a good place to start with most of our discussions here in SCoPE!

I think one of the most useful ways to think about curriculum comes from Grundy's work.

"Curriculum...is not a concept; it is a cultural construction...It is not an abstract concept which has some existence outside and prior to human experience."

So when does developing curriculum happen?