Today! Text Chat

Today! Text Chat

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 1
Just a quick reminder that there is a text chat today the SCoPE here in just a few minutes (I hope the "mail now" button works!) Hope to see you there!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Our text chat transcript

by Sylvia Currie -

Stimulating chat session yesterday! Jo-Ann left us with the idea of "visioning what is universal" when it comes to instructional design. Interesting challenge!

I'm posting our text chat transcript here because for some reason I can't seem to make it available on the site without logging in. Looking into that, meanwhile...

Monday, 6 June 2011, 04:28 PM --> Monday, 6 June 2011, 05:33 PM

photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:28: Sylvia Currie has just entered this chat
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:29 Sylvia: Hi Bill!
Engaging learners (far left) 16:30 Bill: Hi Sylvia! Nice discussion so far!
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:31 Sylvia: Yes! You started out with some juicy questions!
Engaging learners (far left) 16:32 Bill: So are many of these SCoPE folks academics from BC?
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:32: Derek Chirnside has just entered this chat
Engaging learners (far left) 16:32 Bill: Welcome, Derek!
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:32 Sylvia: I just got the word out on twitter that you had scheduled this chat, so hope to see some folks drop in
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:32 Sylvia: Derek! Hi there
Engaging learners (far left) 16:32 Bill: Great! I thought a freeflow might be a good way to kick off week #1 of the discussionj!
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:33 Derek: Hi. Won't be here long have got a few things to do
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:33 Sylvia: Yes, good idea. We rarely use text chat but it can be a great way to kick things off
Engaging learners (far left) 16:33 Bill: Derek--go ahead and shoot with your comments or questions while you're here1
Engaging learners (far left) 16:35 Bill: ....while waiting for others: Sylvia: so how do I get my Phd from BC?
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:35 Derek: Darn it, Lost the chat trying to see Bills Profile
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:36 Sylvia: Hmmm, do you want to move to BC or do it online?
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:36 Derek: I pesume there is no history?
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:36 Derek: (Move to do a PhD?)
Engaging learners (far left) 16:36 Bill: Bill is an anomaly from the United States lost somewhere in the Deparment of Justice....ATF....online. for the PhD. Live in MD. Cannot do a divorce.
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:37 Sylvia: @Derek the chat will be saved but if you leave and come back you might not see what you missed (not sure about that)
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:38 Derek: Hey, I'm gone so, so I'll ask: what can be done to hep build Institutional ISD knowledge - without temlplaes
Engaging learners (far left) 16:38 Bill: Derek:
Engaging learners (far left) 16:39 Bill: Here's what I think---there is 30 plus years of validated research around ISD both for corporate settings and education. Why can't we leverage XML technology and decision trees to automate the thinking process behind basic ISD?
Engaging learners (far left) 16:39 Bill: ..or a Community of Practice might work for your purposes, Derek.
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:40 Derek: Hmm. Intresting question. Maybe
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:40 Derek: OK. First off . . . Education is way more complex than mere decision trees??
Engaging learners (far left) 16:40 Bill: COP's...I have to say: why are we publishing so many books///and now e-books on redundant findings? Why not sequence it into a simple database program so novice ISD'rs can move more quickly?
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:41 Derek: I agree: too man books.
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:41 Sylvia: Has automation been attempted?
Engaging learners (far left) 16:42 Bill: yes....I have some research that it was done earlier--but usually around e-learning design...I was thinking more basic: what modes of training delivery are most effective for what learning outcomes.
Engaging learners (far left) 16:42 Bill: hold a sec and i'LL PULL THE URL.
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:44 Sylvia: I also remember a project several years ago -- although not entirely automated. It might have fit more into the template category
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:45 Derek: I guess from a simplistic pont of view there could be some domains where automation is possible.
Engaging learners (far left) 16:45 Bill: lETITIA uDAMA AND gARY mORRISON (2007) "hOW DO INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNERS USE AUTOMATED instructrional design tool"? sorry for the caps.
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:45 Derek: eg using a PABX telephone xchange
Engaging learners (far left) 16:46 Bill: here ya go: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563204001906
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:46 Sylvia: Right, so a skills training type of situation
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:47 Derek: In the case I had in mind, the real questions i the workshop were NOT to do with the skills . . .
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:47 Sylvia: Interesting -- "The novice designer is likely to gain more benefit from using the tool than a naı¨ve or expert designer. "...
Engaging learners (far left) 16:47 Bill: yes. I have to say I'm biased: I work in the world of corporate/government training...so my bias is on skill building and training needs assessments.
Engaging learners (far left) 16:47: Bill Thimmesch has left this chat
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:47 Derek: They were to do with how to handle bomb threats and how to deal with a boss who wanted you to lie.
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:48 Derek: . . . . not something automated ISD could cope with. smile
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:48 Sylvia: So in a sense the automated design tool is in itself an ISD training tool
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:49 Derek: Q: what about leadership training Bill? Automatable? Partly?
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:49 Sylvia: @Derek, looks like Bill got booted out of the chat
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:49 Derek: "I work in the world of corporate/government training" Point taken
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:49 Derek: Yes, I noticed.
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:50 Derek: Bothour time hae been reset, so something funy is going on
Engaging learners (far left) 16:50: Bill Thimmesch has just entered this chat
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:50 Derek: Welcome back
Engaging learners (far left) 16:50 Bill: I got kicked out..darn!
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:51 Sylvia: Also this quote from the paper is interesting: "Non-designers should probably be trained on instructional design tasks prior to exposure to automated instructional design tools."
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:51 Sylvia: Welcome back, Bill!
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:51 Derek: "I work in the world of corporate/government training" Point taken
Engaging learners (far left) 16:51 Bill: ok...so you go into the Emergency Room at the hospital...a nurse does a rapid diagnosis...based on your responses he or she determines next steps....since we have the technology of XML and branching technology (decision trees) ....why could we not adapte that to ISD?
Jo Ann 16:52: Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers has just entered this chat
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:52 Derek: OK now I get it. Yes. Agreed.
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:52 Derek: I've seen some wonderful work on this. Medical. Sydney.
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:52 Sylvia: Welcome Jo Ann!
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:53 Derek: But oly sucessful since it is highly managed ; ISD people check in each week to deal with new decision trees.
Engaging learners (far left) 16:53 Bill: ...so I was thinking: Hi Jo Ann! scroll up or down:0
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:54 Derek: Bill, Sylvia. Ned to get back to other things now.
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:54 Derek: Thanks Bill - go well.
Jo Ann 16:54 Jo Ann: Hi everyone
Engaging learners (far left) 16:54 Bill: Hi Jo Ann...so what's your interest on this topic?
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:54 Sylvia: Thanks for dropping in, Derek
Engaging learners (far left) 16:55 Bill: another link: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-8101134/you-ready-automated-design.html
Engaging learners (far left) 16:55 Bill: take care, Derek!
Picture of Derek Chirnside 16:55: Derek Chirnside has left this chat
Jo Ann 16:56 Jo Ann: Hi Bill, I've been helping a dance/movement therapist in the US with instructional design and generally I'm a scope person. I like to learn and I like what I've seen so far.
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 16:59 Sylvia: I find it difficult to think about automating without some examples. Earlier when you mentioned the nurse in emergency room it helped me to get my head into it
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 17:01 Sylvia: Now Jo Ann mentions dance therapy and I'm trying to think how that can relate to automating ISD. Ideas?
Engaging learners (far left) 17:01 Bill: Right. So I'm thinking about a question set, sequenced, which ISD folks could use to identify the purpose of the training, potential strategies to deliver the training based on the job oebectives, etc.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:01 Bill: Tell me more about dance therapy and I'll improvise from there.
Jo Ann 17:02 Jo Ann: I think that decision trees are helpful, but I'm aware of how little training many of my colleagues have -- I have to help them with articles, and lead them individually -- perhaps the automated courses with help.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:03 Bill: ok...so what type of structured, guided practice would your learners need to go through in order to master the basics of what you want them to do...and could this be done online?
Jo Ann 17:03 Jo Ann: Dance/movement therapy is one of 6 expressive arts therapies and there are the usual psychology courses like abnormal and neuroscience, but inaddition there is movement language and a lot of movement sensory training.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:06 Bill: ...so if you had a tool (EPSS) that you could work through to identify the psycho-motor skills required for mastery...and how to teach them based on state of the art principles in dance therapy--would that be useful? and what would it look like?
Jo Ann 17:06 Jo Ann: The course I was helping design for this spring was set up in a blended format. I had to prepare the instructor to ask questions to the technicians -- on Blackboard and also help her with her design . She initially wanted content based -- but really liked the more interactive style once she worked with the idea.
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 17:06 Sylvia: This is a fascinating case smile
Jo Ann 17:08 Jo Ann: Bill -- interesting take Bill -- what would most likely be useful is for the instructors to have a framework and then be able to address the various components within the broader framework.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:08 Bill: Right. But a thinking tool would identify WHY interaction activiites are important....based on the goals for the training.
Jo Ann 17:10 Jo Ann: Yes -- the idea of not downloading "content" -- but brainstorming about what would suit students' learning and why it would help with the knowledge that they need to learn, could help frame the course.
Jo Ann 17:14 Jo Ann: Most of my interest in online learning began because I thought it would be worthwhile to have more videos demonstrating the many areas of dance/movement therapy. Now there are more professional videos and slides with narratives, and it is advancing -- but not as fast as I think it could and perhaps there could be more learning for instructors with AID approaches. Not sure.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:17 Bill: hmmmmm...again might depend on the objectives: if this is a fine motor skill, then they would need to perform it through a simulation (kind of like the Nintendo WII).
Engaging learners (far left) 17:18 Bill: This would provide feedback...but your ISD tool would tell you that since the activity is performance-based, the student needs to demonstrate and receive feedback on performance...cou'dnt just watch a slideshow unless you were teach "visula discrimination" skills...or am I now out of orbit?
Jo Ann 17:21 Jo Ann: You are not out of orbit -- but I'm comfortable with spheres and planes. Dance/Movement therapy works with a wide range of clients and all forms of expressive movements -- less so but not omitting fine motor. I see the ISD tool as perhaps being designed specially for people who need to be walked through models that over time will be tested as to that the learner learns.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:22 Bill: ....so they see the models and then perform against them?
Engaging learners (far left) 17:23 Bill: ...not to over-conclude: but perhaps what this is showing is that an electronic performace suppport tool (for training) needs to be specific to the topic being taught?
Jo Ann 17:24 Jo Ann: Yes -- I think without the models (mostly visual with auditory) and without application and feedback in the field and research -- the instructors will be isolated and keep re-inventing the wheel. The key thing is bringing the dance/movement therapists on board.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:24 Bill: there is no universl way to do a training needs assessment and suggested design?
Engaging learners (far left) 17:24 Bill: "on board" does that mean you need to identify and agree on performance standards?
Jo Ann 17:25 Jo Ann: Yes, I agree the fine tuning is to be adapted to the professional skill that is needed -- but also that people have to know that they can benefit from the technology and this form of learning.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:25 Bill: Sylvia? what do you think about all this so far?
Jo Ann 17:26 Jo Ann: On board -- to me means buying into the learning benefit. We both welcome your comments Sylvia.
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 17:28 Sylvia: Still here smile I'm stuck on the universal part, and thinking about situations when anything to do with learning could fall into that category
Engaging learners (far left) 17:29 Bill: Is there a problem with the domains we're hitting? Training or Education? Those are two very separate areas for an ISD tool.
Jo Ann 17:30 Jo Ann: I see them as overlapping -- but perhaps this is problematic to conceptualize here. I like the idea of visioning what is universal..
Engaging learners (far left) 17:31 Bill: hmmm Visioning what is Universal? I like that...ok...I'm going to post a thread on that tomorrow morning...for now: Thank you Jo Ann and Sylvia! It's dinnertime for me...so I have to run for nowsmile. Really enjoyed sharing on this!
Jo Ann 17:31 Jo Ann: Bye Silvia and Bill Thanks
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 17:32 Sylvia: This has been really interesting!
Engaging learners (far left) 17:32 Bill: c U Tomorrow!
photo of me taken by a short person :-) 17:32 Sylvia: See you back in the seminar. Bye for now
Jo Ann 17:32 Jo Ann: Okay, enjoy you meal Bill. See you soon Sylvia.
Engaging learners (far left) 17:33: Bill Thimmesch has left this chat