Educational templates for instructional design

Educational templates for instructional design

by Bill Thimmesch -
Number of replies: 2

So let's put this another way...if, as many of you point out, instructional design in education requires a more creative process, are there more rudimentary tasks that you think might be helpful to automate for  new instructors?  For example, there is quite a lot of research out there on the best ways to teach critical thinking skills to learners (via case studies) as opposed to how and when to deploy simulations for behavioral practice.  Is there an advantage or need to automate this part of the process for new teachers who might not see the fine points between "learning" and "doing"?

Bill

In reply to Bill Thimmesch

Re: Educational templates for instructional design

by David Le Blanc -
Re: ..Is there an advantage or need to automate this part of the process for new teachers ...

Your linked examples of instructional design that opened this week's discussions, show the algorithmic nature of ID processes. I can certainly see that some sort of template driven software might be used to guide teacher/developers through different design scenarios. In an earlier post, Deirdre alluded to how templates could prove beneficial for simple training designs. In fact, I am currently exploring the use of a free Web-based program called UDUTU for developing SCORM modules for multi-platform learning objects. Here's an example of how teachers might be guided through a standard design process: effective courses

Bill, are you speaking about a template driven process or something more specific?

In reply to David Le Blanc

Re: Educational templates for instructional design

by Bill Thimmesch -

Hi David,

I think templates speak more to simplifying course creation, whereas decision trees and pre-determined execution strategies (e.g., simulations, role play, etc. based on instructional objectives) speak more to how to organize the training design--in ways that are research based.  So if I'm going to organize an online course on public speaking...I know that I need to integrate video (guided behavioral practice) to properly teach that subject.  Otherwise, the student is just getting a fly-over course on public speaking which does not impact skill levels...

Bill

Attachment Training_Type.JPG