Preparing for Beta Release

Preparing for Beta Release

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 1
Hi everyone,
The Elluminate walk through and subsequent notes were reallky helpful! I took your feedback + did a thorough review of the website and sent this list along to Northstudio. They then went through the list and indicated how much time is needed for each item -- also copied to the wiki (see bottom of page).

Right now Northstudio has 12 hours left in the budget, so I pulled out 6 hours worth of work to get the site up an running. So we have 6 hours left, which might best be used on training us to make the changes we need to make based on the feedback from folks at STLHE.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the best way to organize the different research project phases using the tools in Open Atrium. I think I'm beginning to see a clear path, the tools associated with main activities on the site, and also key areas that will translate into a good visual for the main page. I outlined the key areas in the wiki.

Anyway, we're well on our way. Heather, you asked in an earlier email message if you thought we'd have a live site for people to try out and give feedback by the June STLHE conference. For sure we'll have the Beta site (functional, but not (ever!) completed) ready to go by then. In fact, I think it will be a good time to pause for a round of feedback.

Next I'll create and configure the necessary groups and work on the visuals (colour, logo). That may be as far as I get this week because I'm traveling, organizing, presenting, etc for the Educational Technology Users Group Spring Workshop in Nelson. I expect Northstudio will complete their revisions this week. Then there will be final bits to do the week before STLHE conference.

Heather, thanks for writing up and posting the welcome text. I'll link things up when I have the other pieces in place. We nay need to tweak it a bit to match up with the spaces/tools, and also change the sequence (eg. "use as a workbench" before "post finished projects")

I hope this all makes sense! I have notes and conversations scattered here and there, so hopefully I didn't miss any big chunks while trying to summarize here.

Sylvia
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Preparing for Beta Release - and STLHE

by Sylvia Currie -
Hi everyone,

See you at STLHE tomorrow! Any plans to meet up before the round table? (I'm at Tlt conference today, also at USask).

Just a quick update. I've been working with Northstudio the last couple days to get the theme sorted out on the SoTL site. When they edited the site to get the logo + colour scheme throughout the site we lost a few features and things got shuffled. Anyway, long story but good news is that it seems to be back in place. I still need to do some clean up/editing before tomorrow.

I noticed that Gary and Heather created an account. Did you get a notification by email? I switched the settings today so that anyone can create an account, and also manually approved yours so I don't know what impact that had on the account creation process.

Also, for existing accounts (Janine, Heather, Gary) I changed your username to your full name so we can model that on the site.

For now I wonder if we should simply provide guest access instead of having people create individual accounts. What do you think? For real user testing it would be better to have a small group with a specific purpose, like Janine's blended learning research group.

I'll watch for posts, email before our session. My cell number is 250-318-2907