Dual Mode Conferences

Re: Dual Mode Conferences

by Lynn Anderson -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Paul,

I have attended dual-mode sessions in Second Life, and I have to say, that I felt more connected to both the live audience and the virtual audience. I'll speculate on why here:
  1. The moderator was great! She was not dedicated to just the virtual room. She introduced the speaker to both audiences and took questions from both equally.
  2. I was able to see the presenter. This can be done one of two ways: 1. Stream the live event into SL. However, I believe there may be some lag. 2. Provide two screens in SL - one with the presenters picture, one with the ppt.
  3. I believe (not sure) that the action in SL was streamed into the live conference room.
  4. Greater social presence - I felt more connected to the virtual audience. Perhaps, this feeling of connection was projected to the live audience as well, or perhaps, I no longer needed to feel connected to the live audience.
Sorry, I know this is purely speculation based on personal experience, but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

In reply to Lynn Anderson

by Paul Stacey -
Lynn:

I think this sense of feeling connected is crucial to online conferences.

Yesterday I was chairing the closing keynote panel at the Digital Learning Conference in Vancouver. Some of the panel members were known for their innovative use of social media. I found it fascinating to watch how between giving their remarks panel members turned on their iPhones or iPads and monitored Twitter comments. It's like the panelists were seeking to connect with not only the audience's public out loud verbal questions and comments but their internal observations, analysis and critiques too. Twitter's stream of consciousness back channel deepens the sense of connection by tapping in to the unspoken.

Paul

In reply to Lynn Anderson

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
I had the pleasure of presenting at a face-to-face conference in New Orleans and presenting on WiZiQ at the same time. It was an awesome experience getting the two audiences connected. Everyone felt the energy of connecting from their homes and feeling like they were with me at the conference.
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Pheo Martin -
Nellie, is there any way you could write up how you connected the audiences? Or, has anyone written on the 'best practices' for this? I see dual mode as a really important teaching tool. Students who could not get to campus could get to class virtually. Pheo :)