Standards, measurement, and learning analtyics

Re: Standards, measurement, and learning analtyics

by Kelly Edmonds -
Number of replies: 1

I don't know if I agree with you, Borivoj. I guess it depends on one's philosophy of education. smile

You state, analytics "could determine the methodology of teaching too much". I am not completely convinced we shouldn't provide some structures and frameworks versus allowing a more loose approach to teaching - however, even the most liberal teachers learns and uses methods on some manner- no tabula rasa there. Research has been done on how kids learn, the curriculum has been developed, and modern versions of teaching are unfolding (albeit, slowly). There is a base to work from (and improve).

If we don't use our findings from applying analytics, what will we use them for if not to inform our practice?

In reply to Kelly Edmonds

Re: Standards, measurement, and learning analtyics

by Larry Phillips -
The problem with the use of analytics in education is the tendency of the measures to drive instruction and related activities. Alberta has grade 3,6,9 achievement tests and diploma exams. Schools do teach to the test and alter professional development and extra curricular activities to do well on the measured activities.

My article "Students and Standards" http://clubweb.interbaun.com/~l-pphillips/edarticles/studstand.htm
reports on what 16 schools did to meet their achievement test goals. My favourite was "curriculum related extra curricular activities".

close unique collaboration withe some offing most arts toed enable people toed discover view more than a thousand ins extraordinary detailSearch Clusty