How will (could) linked data and the semantic web impact learning?

Re: How will (could) linked data and the semantic web impact learning?

by Apostolos Koutropoulos -
Number of replies: 2
"I would think that this precise tagging and finding the most relevant key words related to a certain subject, is linked to the novice or expert state that a person is in. The more expertise, the easier it is to provide specific and accurate key words or phrases, the more one is a novice, the more those choices might be colored by popular nouns or hyped words. " - IIdW

I agree with you 100% and, anecdotally of course, I've seen this in my own personal information organizing behavior. Back in the early days of Del.icio.us use, I didn't really pick tags well, as a result some of my bookmarks were not so easy to find later on. As I used the system more, I actually ended up coming up with terms that were general enough to point a category out, but specific enough so that not everything was "web2.0" (Now if only I had the time to put in an abstract/description for each URL :-) )
In reply to Apostolos Koutropoulos

by Inge Ignatia de Waard -
oh, I so follow you on the 'adding an abstract/description' into delicious :-D
And I must confess, it also feels like an effort to take out those tags that I only used once (similar in my blog, I should clean house, but I keep putting it forward to ... later). I wonder if there would be people willing to clean up the messes that are made, or maybe a cleaning algorithm?
In reply to Inge Ignatia de Waard

by Apostolos Koutropoulos -
A cleaning algorithm would be useful...but...I wouldn't trust it :-)

a year or so ago I undertook a project to clean up my music, re-rip it into iTunes, scan cover art and have appropriate meta-data. I was almost 90% when my hard drive died. Haven't gone back to it yet :-)

I think it would be worthwhile for me to go back through my delicious bookmarks and retag and add abstracts. I "only" have about 2000 bookmarks. I think that what I will find is that about 500 of those links are dead, which makes it a good excuse to clean things up ;-)

As far as going back to old blog posts. I have considered it, but with about 3000 posts (across 3 blogs), that could be an issue. For blogs, I think it doesn't matter as much (the retagging) since one could do a forensic analysis on our blogs and could tell things about the evolution of our thinking. I write blog posts to outwardly communicate with others. Bookmarks on the other hand, I keep because I find them useful for my own personal use, the outward sharing is just a nice side-effect :-)