What does an organizational data strategy look like?

Re: What does an organizational data strategy look like?

by Shahrinaz Ismail -
Number of replies: 1
Basically, I think everyone has some ideas here and there about this topic. Let me share what I believe and what I've been teaching all this while in my IS subjects.

1. Profile of the CIO/CTO/CKO of course should be with leadership skills, skills in people management, expectation management, risk management, change management, and able to influence the top management in deciding on the analytics purposes and implementation for teaching and learning the university.

2. Back to basic - the usage of analytics should align with the business strategy and mission of the organisation in terms of teaching and learning. There's no point having vast data without knowing what you want from the data. Only from knowing what we want from the data (or Task), we can identify the methods of using the vast data to analyse the patterns further.

3. 'Project stakeholders' should include everyone (a member or 2 of each) from faculties, support departments, etc. so that each aspect of data usage will be covered and looked into, especially data that integrate/interlink across dept/faculties. For example: Students who tend to fail in catching up, may be having some issues with financial, registration records or language fluency, which other departments may have records of. Stakeholders (in steering committee of this organisational Learning Analytics 'project') should be able to provide the requirements on what are needed from the analytics, from beginning of the project.

4. At the end of the day, the knowledge we learn from the vast data and learning analytics should reflect the learning objectives of the programmes we offer. Success of each cohort can be monitored and if the problem is deemed to be from the syllabus itself, then reviews of programme and changes can be made, and so on...

5. Like it or not, we can't run away from evaluation and assessment of the analytics tool itself. Knowledge audit on what's learnt should be looked into.

These are randomly poured from this tired mind. Timecheck it's midnite here in Kuala Lumpur.

- Shazz, Kuala Lumpur
In reply to Shahrinaz Ismail

Re: What does an organizational data strategy look like?

by Shahrinaz Ismail -
I just remembered something...
Is there anything like an auto-suggest of books to read if the analytics find that a student is left behind in catching up on certain topics?

Or maybe some 'alert' function that can predict on certain 'inactivity' of some learners after more than a week or so?

I know data mining and prediction analytics can somehow do that.

Just wondering.
- Shazz, Kuala Lumpur