University LA and Transparency / Disclosure

University LA and Transparency / Disclosure

by Murray Richmond -
Number of replies: 3
Learning analytics can be viewed as another intrusive data collection process which will be used to formulate "performance measures" for higher education.

In my view the application of any type of LA should be a fully disclosed and transparent process subject to critical analysis by all stakeholders.

Does anyone agree or am I simply overreacting?

In reply to Murray Richmond

Re: University LA and Transparency / Disclosure

by George Siemens -
Hi Murray - I agree that LA should be fully disclosed and transparent. A learner should have access to the same data that the university does. In our discussions of LA, we haven't really focused on how analytics could help individuals learn to manage their own learning habits and adjust their actions based on how they perform in relation to others in similar courses. Web analytics allow through Google analytics, google alerts, services such as Radian6, Klout, etc.

The relationship between a corporation and an employee is a bit different. I would like to think that employees could see what the organization sees. I'm not convinced that this will be the case.

The use of aggregate data is as revealing as individual analytics. What is the obligation of an institution (university) to share the results of its analysis with learners? If learners know what a university collects, the value-added analysis is still missing. As discussed last week: data is largely free. Analysis is the value point.

In reply to George Siemens

by Murray Richmond -
I think one of the key purposes of LA should be to focus "on how analytics could help individuals learn to manage their own learning habits and adjust their actions based on how they perform in relation to others".

Listening to John Fritz led me to visualize some type of activity or participation meter that would show Maximum, Minimum and Mean activity/participation and then show the relative location of the individual learner with respect to these values.
In reply to Murray Richmond

by Francisco Reis -
Not being intrusive is, also in my opinion, very important. But it may allow us to include in the tools actions that are immediatly useful and natural for students having later analytics usefulness.

That's my reasoning for the Forum object I'm developing in my Umniverse virtual world. In 2 weeks time I can show how it works.

Who can send me a link of discussions about integrating Elluminate functionality with SecondLife? Thanks in advance!