Analytics for Actual/Virtual

Re: Analytics for Actual/Virtual

by Nicola Avery -
Number of replies: 1
Hi,

Just waiting for more info re PREVIEW ones, but I asked at Surrey and they said you could use LindenScript to develop various things.

You can capture open chat (such as anyone visiting Surrey Island and talking in the regular chat box (not private messaging) through location and then "it can be pushed out to any other addressable service at regular intervals. You need to be able to build in the location, in IRC"

You can also have avatar counters (as in nos visiting). One of the Surrey students taught as part of the MUVENation project and she said they used something more detailed there but she wasn't sure what it was.

"some of them are for inside Second Life, but they are very simple old ones, all the new ones have the expert system and database at the back of it so you can check it online and they are web based. This is an example of a one"
http://www.hippo-technologies.co.uk/products/hippovisit/index.php

She did mention though with services like that there are often monthly fees.

With simulations like PREVIEW and also the SEDIG one, you can put scripts on objects so that when they are touched, or asked questions, it can be recorded (numbers and I think the text too, depending on how the simulation was built)
In PREVIEW they also had metadata on the object descriptions which can talk nicely to other learning object code I think and they also had 'node logs' but I don't know exactly what data was recorded with these, will come back on that bit. On Sedig, Peter Yellowlees also wanted to get an idea of interest beyond SecondLife, so he put the video on Youtube and used the data in terms of numbers, ratings and comments on there as part of his overall assessment of how Sedig was working successfully.

In reply to Nicola Avery

Re: Analytics for Actual/Virtual

by Linda Burns -
One way to record what avatars are doing in your simulation is to use bots. Duke University School of Nursing is using Bots. There is some scripting, and cost. But you can collect all kinds of data. But then you need to figure out how to process that data.

http://www.pikkubot.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start