Are you ready for QR codes?

Re: Are you ready for QR codes?

by Barbara Dieu -
Number of replies: 3
Neither am I, Inge :-)

However, much as I think learning analytics can help in a number of different situations, most people in their daily life are not fond of complexity and tend not to question data analysis or what is behind all these apps, just accept them as they are.

The excessive belief we will boost efficiency by measurement and optimization practices (technology recording and timing every movement to improve performance) without taking into account the human/social/affective/emergent that is present in learning and life will lead to the rigidity, conformism and mechanical view of the world we are trying to overcome.

"In the past the man has been first, in the future the system must be first"
(Frederick W. Taylor, The Principles of Scientific Management, 1911)
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1911taylor.html

Off topic but a good read :-)
The Machine Stops - E.M. Forster (1909)
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by Inge Ignatia de Waard -
oh Barbara, you make me very happy with the link to 'the machine stops', immediately downloaded it to read during my daily commute. Thanks!

I totally agree with you that measurement and performance enhancement should be in balance with human (learning) nature. I feel that time to dream and think is high knowledge quality time, and as such knowledge workers and training people should have time off, just to get their minds around new information and transform it into knowledge and educational actions. Great people, took their time I think.
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by ines cambiasso -

#Barbara, I can´t agree more.

Having said that, technology is still amazing and we are here to humanize it.