data: participants by country

data: participants by country

by Barbara Dieu -
Number of replies: 16
Hi Sylvia,
I started counting the number of participants and listing them under region and country and stopped wondering whether I would have to do it manually or whether Moodle collects this data automatically. If it does, would it be possible to share this data with me? (I do not need the names, just the number of people per country).
B.
In reply to Barbara Dieu

Re: data: participants by country

by Sylvia Currie -
Bee, that's great! the only short cut I can think of is to look at the course member list, then sort by country. This doesn't give you totals but makes it easier to count!

Tips:
  1. At bottom of page you can opt to display all records on one page.
  2. Select the 'less detailed' view in top pull-down menu
Access the member list at top left on course page. Here's a direct link:
http://scope.bccampus.ca/user/index.php?contextid=32912
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Hans de Zwart -
Somebody with access to the database of this Moodle installation could get this information with a single query (I could help wit that).

I guess it relates to a discussion elsewhere in these forums about getting a data dump of this course when it is done.
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Barbara Dieu -
It would be interesting to know whether this could be done more quickly. It is terribly annoying and time-consuming to try to list the 226 enrolled members into their different countries.
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by Sylvia Currie -
Hans, thanks so much for your offer to help! When I look at my access to the Moodle database I don't see a way to zone in on the information about users in a specific course. Let's keep in touch about what and how to get at the data we need.

My method for preparing summaries of participation by country in SCoPE events has always been to copy/paste of the member list into Excel (sorted by country). Then I mark where each country ends and use the line item numbers to calculate totals. It's not too time-consuming, but still takes some fiddling.

It probably makes sense to do this calculation at the end of the course since the member list changes daily. The other consideration is that not everybody will create an account on the SCoPE site. You only need the account to contribute to discussions and customize visits. The more accurate course member list would be the Google Group. There's a location field in that member list but it's optional and more free-form.

by George Siemens -
Sylvia - I'm not sure how you've set up LAK11 in Moodle in contrast to other SCoPE activities...are each of these separate installs or do they run on a single database? I'm wondering about the suitability of duplicating LAK11 database and setting it up for participants to "play with" using gephi/nodexl or other tools.
In reply to George Siemens

by Sylvia Currie -
George, this LAK11 space is just a course space on the SCoPE Moodle site.

That's an interesting idea to create a separate space to play with some of the tools. We could simply backup and restore the course with full user data on a different server, then go wild. :-)

I'm looking into installing some tools here in SCoPE in an case -- something I've wanted to do for a long time. But I wonder if it's all more complicated, risky, and time-consuming than I realize. That's the best part. I have no idea!

Looking into it though. I might know more tomorrow morning! Simon Fraser University (where SCoPE site is hosted) was closed today because of snow.

Re: data: participants by country - use elluminate bit.ly link for statistics and graph

by Christopher Taylor -

A quicker aid is to use the bit.ly link to elluminate
which will tell you about the elluminate "clickers"
although obviously there are some potential moodle participants
who never click on the link due to time zones.

Add a plus sign to the end of the bit.ly link to get the statistics
about the people who clicked the link like so:

http://bit.ly/gOf1jk+

Then click "location" tab and "past week" to see the location
of people who clicked in the past week. If people click multiple
times they get counted multiple times (eg 1 person in Finland clicked 3 times?)

Chris

Attachment elluminate_bit_ly.JPG
In reply to Christopher Taylor

Re: data: participants by country - use elluminate bit.ly link for statistics and graph

by João Vizinho -
That was a good tip.

by Barbara Dieu -
Thank you for the tip, Cris. However, that would involve Elluminate sessions only, right? The only pb I see is that as the sessions are widely advertised, there may be people who are not in the course and just pop in to watch a presentation.
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by Christopher Taylor -
Correct, this screendump of the graph only applies to the origin of Elluminate paticipants and if an individual clicks multiple times, they get counted per click.

Having said that, I noticed there were about 80+ elluminate live partcipants in the first session, about 90 partcipants in the 2nd elluminate live session and 200+ moodle participants so I'd guess there arent a great many non-moodle participants in elluminate.

Chris Taylor

by George Siemens -
Hi Chris - there are some interesting differences in numbers, as you note. It's hard to determine the overlap of participants. For example, we have 600 participants signed up for the Google groups, 200+ for Moodle, and a smaller number attending the live sessions. If patterns from other open courses hold true, we'll see participation in moodle forums and elluminate dropping as the course progresses. Gaining an understanding of who does what and when and the overlap of participants in different spaces is a bit challenge. Actually, an interesting learning analytics challenge...
In reply to George Siemens

by Barbara Dieu -
Very difficult to measure as some people attend the live Elluminate sessions while others listen to it afterwards (do you have a log of how many and who did it in Elluminate so you can compare the data with Moodle and Google groups?).

The Google groups is more of a broadcast list with no discussions, through which you send messages and summaries to everyone who has subscribed (but who does not necessarily participate in Moodle - you could compare the two lists but it would be interesting to have some kind of "automatic list comparer".
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by Atul Sabnis -
Hello Barbara,

Not sure if this helps, but I extracted the data from the Member list and put it in a spreadsheet.

Of course, this is not dynamic, so when new users join, we may have to keep doing this repeatedly.

In any case, after going through, I thought it would be a fun thing to do; sharing what I got.
In reply to Atul Sabnis

by Atul Sabnis -
Ah, Moodle doesn't allow multiple attachments. Here's the source file. (.xls, converted from a .numbers file, please excuse if the formatting has gone all bad)
In reply to Atul Sabnis

by Barbara Dieu -
Thank you, Atul. This gives me an update on what I have done - numbers have not changed drastically for most, except maybe for the English-speaking countries, which sport even more participants.
In reply to Atul Sabnis

by Linda Burns -
Thanks, I was thinking about something like this.

Linda