Is there any metrics of correspondence between time of study in e-Learning and the correspondence time in instructor led training?

Is there any metrics of correspondence between time of study in e-Learning and the correspondence time in instructor led training?

by Nuno Pena -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

I was wondering if someone could you could help me out: I’m looking for papers, case studies and bibliographic referencies that somehow could demonstrate or suggest a correspondence between 1 hour of study in e-Learning and the correspondence in time in an instructor led training. Example: 25 minutes study in e-Learning could correspond to 1 hour of instructor led training.

The reason why I’m looking for this is that the state agency that coordinates the Insurance Industry in Portugal launched a regulation that requires students in certification course for insurance intermediaries to remain on the LMS the same time as the instructor led courses.

I would like to argue against this orientation based on scientific and market criteria.

Best Regards

Nuno
In reply to Nuno Pena

Re: Is there any metrics of correspondence between time of study in e-Learning and the correspondence time in instructor led training?

by Gillian Palmer -
Hi Nuno. In my experience, as face-to-face hours give a notional study time (2 hours a week in "class" can be anything from 2 hours study to about 90 depending on the level of course and subject), so do online hours. The certification may demand, for example, 180 study hours but the two formats will calculate that time in different ways. I can put you in touch with someone in the US who does insurance courses in both modes but don't know how to make sure this is a totally private conversation so if you send me an email on gillian [at] elemente dot co dot uk (without spaces and brackets) I'll see if I can link you up.
Best,
Gillian
In reply to Gillian Palmer

Re: Is there any metrics of correspondence between time of study in e-Learning and the correspondence time in instructor led training?

by Nuno Pena -

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for your reply. The thing is that I haven't yet seen any "formal" or academic studies on this. For example, some blogs identify a “ Compression ratio” : What would the length of the course be if it were online vs. classroom based?

“There's been a lot of research on this, and answers vary anywhere from 20% to 80% of the original length, but there's general agreement that an average compression ratio is typically about 50%, or a four hour course in the classroom should take the student 2 hours to complete online”.

Thanks