Hello from Aachen, Germany

Hello from Aachen, Germany

by Judith Buendgens-Kosten -
Number of replies: 10
Hi,

I'm Judith, and I'm interested in the format of the course even more than in the context matter :-) I work at the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, in the field of media didactics and knowledge management. I'm a linguist by training, currently doing post-doctoral research on blogging as a tool for learning, and finishing a degree in online and distance education (MA ODE) at the Open University.

In reply to Judith Buendgens-Kosten

Re: Hello from Aachen, Germany

by Kami Mutan -
Hi Judith!!!

What an interesting topic for a research!! Do you blog?

Greetings

VC

by Apostolos Koutropoulos -
It's a pleasure to meet you!

What do you mean by "didactics"? Does the term mean the same thing as "pedagogy"? :-)

I too am interested in using technology to enhance education and I also just finished a degree in applied linguistics - I didn't think there would be too many of us here with the same interests as me :-)

Apostolos
In reply to Apostolos Koutropoulos

by Judith Buendgens-Kosten -
Yeah, basically it's pedagogy. We just have a big translation problem here, because in Germany, we differentiate between "Mediendidaktik" and "Medienpädagogik", so we can't translate both using "pedagogy" :-) It's all about teaching with media and teaching use of media, from kids to adults.

Great to meet another linguist here :D

by Gillian Palmer -
An interesting exchange as, using British English, I would talk about media-based instruction or pedagogy and still, after many years, have to consciously remember that 'instructor' and 'instruction' have different collocations in the US. I hope to meet you in your blog!
Gillian
In reply to Gillian Palmer

by Adam Weisblatt -
Americans use learning terminology with different and confusing meanings right across the hall from each other. Just ask someone the definition of curriculum or distance learning. :)
In reply to Adam Weisblatt

by Gillian Palmer -
Ah, they aren't alone. I once tried to grab from official websites "the EU" definitions for terminology pertinent to administration of bachelors IS degrees. We all ended up so confused that we had to invent another set for the project - and we all had many years experience working with other countries. About all that could be said for that was that we realised how important it was that we had a real and common understanding.

by Adam Weisblatt -
I think every LMS implementation should have an authoritative Wiki Glossary.

by Apostolos Koutropoulos -
Having had to translate materials from Greek to (American) English (and vice versa) I have to agree that across-the-board definitions aren't available.

The cynic in me tends to think that we as academic feel we need to make our mark and thus we make up definitions for concepts that we think are new; on the other hand I do believe in polygenesis: that more than one person at a time have the same (or similar) idea and are working on it separately - thus the mushrooming of terms.

As a (rather newly minted) linguist it's still interesting to me to look at concepts intralinguistically and interlinguistically.

We ought to connect on linkedin and/or academia.edu (directed towards particiabts of this thread - posting from and iPhone , so I not sure where thus reply is actually going)