Playing around with Hunch

Re: what if higher ed needs to open up, so their courses can be screened by students?

by Apostolos Koutropoulos -
Number of replies: 0
Having faculty open up their courses to students that are not signed up for the course is like pulling teeth at times. As a graduate student in an instructional design program, I decided to poke around and create a wiki for the entire program. I took syllabi, plus personal experience from taking courses, and I created a complete course offerings list, with a break down of what was covered in each course, course resources and so on.

What I found, is that in addition to faculty sometimes not wanting this info to become public, students also sometimes don't want to be the ones doing the work. Some students feel like they've paid for the course and why should others have access to the materials that they paid for (viewing perhaps education as a collection of materials rather than a process of learning) OR students don't have sufficient motivation to contribute information during the course or after the course is over.

Here's the wiki I've created: http://pocketid.wikispaces.com

Still a work in progress. Now that I've graduated from the program, it's not as easy to go back and rework all this material without help from others :-)