Playing around with Hunch

Re: Playing around with Hunch - further reflection

by Apostolos Koutropoulos -
Number of replies: 0
There are two issues here that piqued my interest:

1. the issue of Privacy
2. "bombardment" of ads

As far as Privacy goes, we don't really have privacy; what we DO have is a faucet and we can choose how much to turn the faucet, and in what area. If people we know got together, they COULD piece together info about us, even though we might have given each member a different piece of the puzzle. The internet, and web 2.0 services, make this much easier.

I don't have any delusions of Privacy when using these services; after all they do get hacked, apps get written that take advantage of the info I've stored in private areas, and ToS do change and once private info becomes public. What I want (as a "net-generation" member) is finer control over who I give my info to, the shelf-life of that information, and how these people/apps/places can use my info.

As far as ads go, I don't want to be bombarded with ads - period. Neither ads that are pertinent to me, nor ads that are not. Watching Hulu (a video streaming service in the US), I get A LOT of ads that are not pertinent to me, BUT they are amusing in their own right. I get ads for car insurance that are pretty funny (allstate with "mayhem"), I've seen some pretty imaginative HP printer ads, and of course the "Hello, I'm a Mac" ads. Some (or all) of these don't pertain to me, but I watch them anyway for their artistic (or humor) value.

The product isn't the only thing that matters - presentation is equally important. I'd be happy to watch ads for products that don't pertain to me if the ad is interesting.