signing up

signing up

by Larry Phillips -
Number of replies: 6
You need to see if you can streamline the sign-up process. I joined the google group and when I tried to login to Moodle using my Google ID. I couldn't. Having set up a Moodle account for another course, I tried that ID. After waiting fruitlessly for an email with my logon information (twice), I opened a new account. Then when I tried to post an introduction, I was told I needed to join a group (Google?).

I'm either signed in or the fridge is arriving Thursday. :)
In reply to Larry Phillips

Re: signing up

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for the feedback, Larry!

Multiple accounts is one of the big challenges for sure. It doesn't help that we use the same label to mean different things, and assign the same thing with different labels. mixed On this SCoPE site we have many "groups", and LAK11 is one of them. If you're familiar with Moodle it really just means "courses". I hope that helps!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Larry Phillips -

I know there is a lot of information to go through at the begining of the course.  However, it might help to layout the sign up proceedure i.e. accounts and how they work.  That way people would know what to expect.

by dave cormier -
Hi Larry,

The multiple sign-ins are a direct result of the distributed nature of the course. One of the challenges in developing moocs is balancing offering options/choice to people with giving them something that is transparent.

In earlier courses, we have tried completely contained systems and we ran into many difficulties with it not being able to do some of the things we needed.

In the end, we are trying to work in spaces that can be maintained outside of the supports normally afforded by working inside institutions. This space has been kindly offered by the good folks at scope and google, of course, is free for this kind of use.

I understand the frustration, trust me, I've got more signins than i can really keep track of :) as with most things... my advice is blame george.

hope you enjoy the course!

by Mary Rearick -
Hi Larry,
I had the same experience last week. This week, I also had difficulty enrolling. I kept getting messages like, "This name has already been taken." "Characters must be alphabetic or numeric. " When I tried to post to the forum, after getting past the login, I got the message that "Guests" needed to enroll in the course."

It's a little like living with a squirrel in the house! :-)
In reply to Mary Rearick

by Leah Good -

I received messages that I needed to enroll, too; trying to reply to your post here, the error message actually contained a way for me to say that I did want to enroll. But I thought I already had done so when I set up my user name, etc.

Leah

In reply to Leah Good

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for adding that, Leah. Most of the SCoPE site is wide open so that you have access to read everything, but at the moment you want to contribute you will be led through the necessary steps to 1) create and account if you don't have one 2) enrol in the group if you haven't already.

(group = course in Moodle language)